High nutrient advice please

Javeo

Hi all

I’ve recently been having issues with high phosphate and nitrate levels in my RSR 170. I can’t fathom what the cause could be as I feed 2/3 cubes of frozen per day,

I have 6 fish (2 clowns, 2 bangaii, 2ywg) and it’s a gorgonian based reef with a few other softies and a couple of small anemones.

I dose 3ml daily of NOPOX and 1 drop every other day of sponge power. Mechanical filtration is a filter cup with floss and a nyos 120 skimmer. I’ve been using a few grams of rowaphos in a bag recently. I have a reactor which I may start if I can’t get the levels down.

The tank looks fine though, I have no algae anywhere, I clean the glass every few days at most and all my corals are growing really well.

What more can I do? Should I do anything at all?

Attachments

• 5268209C-E88D-44C3-8C52-A4EFF0DDC4EB.jpg
    5268209C-E88D-44C3-8C52-A4EFF0DDC4EB.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
This may be the advance warning of a problem to come, but if the levels remain somewhat high but stable (not dramatically increasing) I would not do anything. Your tank looks fantastic and especially with the lack of an algae issue, the higher levels may just be an artifact of your tank's dynamics.

This may be the advance warning of a problem to come, but if the levels remain somewhat high but stable (not dramatically increasing) I would not do anything. Your tank looks fantastic and especially with the lack of an algae issue, the higher levels may just be an artifact of your tank's dynamics.

This. Don't chase numbers unless you have an actual problem.

Kevin

My tank is similar to yours and I intentionally run the nutrients high. I just checked a day or so ago and my nitrates are 25 ppm and phosphates are .5 ppm. However like you my tank has no algae issues except film micro algae on the glass every week.

If my overall nutrients climb higher then I step up water changes. If I want phosphates to get lower I feed more frozen food and less freeze dried or pellet.

I am an older reefer and have run my tanks in this range for years and years without issue. Enjoy your reef, it's beautiful. Your corals are well suited for a tank with high nutrients.

Thank you all for the replies, it helps put my mind at ease. I do agree with stability over chasing “perfect” numbers.
I’m really only perplexed as to the reason I have such high levels, as I said I only feed 2 sometimes 3 cubes of frozen a day. The fish and inverts eat it all pretty quickly, i dose NOPOX, and run rowa and do 25liter water changes ever 2 weeks.
I have a good cuc that I have to appreciate for the fact of having no algae.
but as long as everything is healthy and the tank looks good I guess there’s really no point in changing anything
again thank you to everyone for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

Just for reference Javeo, my tank is an Aqueon 56 gallon column aquarium housing 12 fish, and cuc. I am not sure how many fish you have in your 34 gallon RSR 170 but I only feed 1 cube of frozen/ day and 1 pinch of flake. My fish are fat which is how I like them. You could try cutting down your fish's food a bit and see if your nutrients drop some if you want to make a small change?

Two to three cubes of food per day for just 6 small fish seems too much to me. I'd suggest cutting it down to just one cube per day.

Ok thank you all. I will cut down the feeding and see if that helps and what effect it has on the livestock.

Back