High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

vlangel

Premium Member
@Misled are those anemones from you?

@vlangel tank looks better and better every time you post. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks griss, this is actually the best looking tank I have ever had. I have had a nice seahorse tank that even won TOTM on nano-reef but it was not well suited for the ponies,(not high nutrient enough for the coral to flourish). This current tank is easily sustainable with reasonable maintenance. That seahorse tank needed insane maintenance to keep the ponies healthy.

vlangel

Premium Member
Well we got home from a long weekend with the grandkids and the tank is fine. I do worry a bit but didn't need to.

vlangel

Premium Member
I did give Ted at least one. Pretty sure it was around the time we were meeting for lunches because of the state of the club. That's really cool. Do you still talk to Ted?
I occasionally will check out Ted's tank on the other reef forum and sometimes catch up with him a little there. Other than that, I only see him at the 3RMAS frag swap. It's at Southpointe arena, (where the Pens used to practice) on April 1st. You should check it out if you are free.

So maybe my nem is a descendant of yours, who knows?

vlangel

Premium Member
So, how did you move the nems? They can discrete some stuff if exposed to air or just moved into a different flow patterm. I'll say something else in a minute. But with the macros you have, that should drop fairly quickly. I'd take ia reading in a day or two and see what you get. Every thing in the tank looks great. Next, show me your sump.

So on the nems. When and where did you get them? Just wanted to see if my legecy is still running around!!!
Jesse, sorry it took me so long to get this sump pic. Anyway, like I said, it's not beautiful, mostly it's just functional. It's a 30 gallon XH which leaves me some room for evaporation. I would like to get an ATO before we do our motorcycle road trip to Alaska this summer. I add water about every other day to keep the salinity from swinging too much. IMG_20230127_103151736.jpg

vlangel

Premium Member
Yesterday a friend who understands gyres came over and helped put in replacement parts for me. My gyre was making a lot of noise and the tank is in our living room which made it super annoying. Anyway, once the new parts were put in, the gyre was dead silent and it moved a lot more water. Now I am amazed at how great these are for moving water. This gyre only had a few months of service on it but because it always made noise, it spent the last 2 years sitting on a shelf in my basement fish room. The great thing is that now I understand how it works and can replace parts myself. I am absolutely thrilled with it. I will post a 20 second video showing the flow set on gyre at 20%. Watch the tomini tang get swept toward the front glass, showing there is some muscle there.