High TDS after replacing all filters and membrane

Hi,I replaced all my filters the other day.

I've let the RODI unit run for the past 48 hours and the TDS after the RO membrane is still high 35 tds.I've verified with another*inline TDS meter, and I've taken the RO membrane apart and reseated. I'm not sure what the issue could be.

TDS before membrane 45 tds
TDS after membrane 35 tds
Pressure 70 psi

Do you have a DI stage?

Have you tried to reseat the membrane?
Did you install the membrane the right way?

Its clearly not seated/installed correctly or faulty

The DI stage is after the membrane and is not connected at the moment due to the high TDS. I did take the membrane out and reseat it. According to the BRS video, the 2 rubber gaskets on the bottom. I bought 2 RO membranes and they are both testing exactly the same.

I thought it was the tds meter at first, so I pulled another in-line tds meter off another RO unit and the exact same readings.

Last edited:
So this is a new membrane?
If so then I would think that the membrane is bad.
Have you checked the waste water ratio ?

The DI stage is after the membrane and is not connected at the moment due to the high TDS. I did take the membrane out and reseat it. According to the BRS video, the 2 rubber gaskets on the bottom. I bought 2 RO membranes and they are both testing exactly the same.

I thought it was the tds meter at first, so I pulled another in-line tds meter off another RO unit and the exact same readings.

Unlikely that 2 membranes are bad.. but possible I guess..

And yes the 2 rubber orings on the one end go in first and the larger black ring (brine seal) should be near the cap..
You need to use some force sometimes for that last 1/4" of travel to fully seat the membrane orings.

If your water is coming out of the RO membrane filter output too fast thats a good indication its not seated/installed properly.. Checking to see if you are achieving the proper gallons per day is a good check there

Did the water test, and the output of both waste and post membrane was expected. However, after thinking about it, I traced the good line to the in-line tds meter,and the only thing I could think of was the auto shutoff valve. I took the good lines out and ran it directly to the tds meter. 0 tds, and then the autoshut off valve started leaking because the RO lines were not in it; only the pre-membrane lines, so that tells me there was probably a hole in the shutoff valve, causing both pre and post membrane to mix.

I need to see if bypassing the auto shutoff brings my post membrane TDS down. I have two membrane housings and the membrane bottoms out in both pretty easy - no need to push with palm for last quarter inch-harder to get out.

Back