high test results. should i be concern?

zheka757

the readings im showing here is from the last 6 months time. im doing 50gallon water change every 10 days with IORC. for the last 2 month now i have being using gfo and carbon to get rid of nitrates and phosphates. for the most part im happy with results as i finally got my acros to be happy and growing. lps is happier also. most other sps (monti, birdsnest) are no difference. however my Forest Fire Montipora digitata colony slowly died during the last 3 month time.
my concern in my calcium and magnesium if they stay high like this will it do harm to corals or no?

my guess the only reason why my acros are happy is that I lowered my phosphates using gfo.

Attachments

• viber_image_2021-01-04_20-49-35.jpg
    viber_image_2021-01-04_20-49-35.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Mag reads high & the ALK is low, and the Cal yes is a bit high but if it gets too high it will precipitate all over the pumps & heater etc. so that is usually obvious and usually will not hurt anything alive if it stays at 500 but 350-450 tops is what you want & kept stable.
Some corals just do not deal well with params varying this much tho hi readings are better then too low if given a choice, but if you can get the MAG, CAL, and ALK in line with NSW stats i think the FF Digits will then do ok. ALK varying will cause issues with sps and all hard corals TBH, i made that mistake myself & lost several nice Acans and a few sps in my past to low ALK so i learned to test weekly till my dosing was adjusted to my tanks growth pattern. I do a weekly PH test that tells me immediatly if the ALK is spot on if ok then i only do other params monthly to adjust the dosing etc. Hope i helped.

I'd say you've stripped out too much phosphate and you need to bring it above .03 mg/l. I's suggest reading the links posted in this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25711719#post25711719

aside from phosphate, is my alk, mag, and cal alarming numbers? should i let it go or try adjusting it? im running calcium reactor on my system. if i where to adjust trace elements, i would probably need to shut my cal reactor down and dose alk until calcium will drop down.
on the other side, what ever it is in my tank, my acros are happy with the way things are, therefo i dont know if i should mess with water chemistry.

Don't make multiple changes at the same time unless you have a very solid reason to do so. Your numbers may not be ideal but with the exception of PO4 they're not outside of acceptable. (See Nikko Reef links below to see what a "pristine" reef can test.) If you turn off your calcium reactor remember you'll need to watch your alkalinity a lot closer as your calcium reactor is also providing alkalinity. Also keep in mind growth and coloration can't be used to determine if a coral is healthy or not. Skewed phosphate or nitrate levels can cause cause reduce calsificatin. The bright colors can be indicative of health issues or partial bleaching.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2013GL058489

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/acidic-coral-refugia/

Here is test results from yesterday.
Alkalinity 7.8. .... today 7.8 also
Mag 1540
Cal 540
Nitrate 2-5
Phosphate .04 using hanna low range checker (not ulr)
Tim i just watched brs test on phosfate hanna checker between low range and ulra low range. And its quite different in results. So I'm not sure if my results are even acurate being low using low range hanna checker.

Last edited:
Keep in mind all of the hanna phosphate checkers are only testing PO4. The URL Phosphorus tester is just using a conversion factor to convert the tested PO4 to it's equivalent P number. You should expect differences since one is displaying PO4 and the other is displaying P. Niether test kit (or any of our test kits for PO4) can test for POP or DOP. See the links I posted in post #2 and #11 in this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25711719#post25711719

Also, it's always a good idea to get multiple tests or verify a test kit against another one or use an average.

Back