Highest Temp okay on Reef Tank?

Sheni Angel

I was just wondering in these awful HOT spells (which we rarely have in Washington)... what is the hottest that a tank can go up to slowly and not be in complete worry?? I have been worrying over 84 degrees and panicking at 86.? Am I worrying too much or worry is justified? Just looking for a target temp when my tank is normally set at 80 and runs about 82. Thanks!

When it gets really hot my temp will go up to 83-84. If your temp gets up near 86 I would start worring.

ya my tank was at 84 yesterday...i had turned the window unit off so i could hear myself talking on the phone and forgot to turn it back on lol...nothin showed any signs of anything happening...ideally keep it at 78 or 9

Sheni Angel, I'm probably in the same heat wave that you are. I put a fan blowing on the top of the tank and I turned out my lights at 3 o'clock. I left just the Actinics running until about six and then turned them all off. I went from 85 to 80 by this morning. Today the tank is at 82 with the fan on.

Thanks for your replies. :) My tank has really been wanting to be high 84- even 86 degrees unless A LOT of effort. Fans always running, lights off and still HOT. I decided to put my mind at peace once and for all and just bought a chiller. Can't wait for that thing to arrive! :cool: Thanks~ Sheni

Thanks, JGoslee! I'm pretty excited for it to arrive. My tank is staying up in the 84 temps with no lights ever on and I will have to run my Halides when my Clams and Corals start. My quarantine tank is reading 89.9! :eek: I haven't cooled it in a couple days though as I moved the fish out into the main tank. Heat waves aren't so fun anymore. :hmm1:

Oh coralcat! I hope you have a chiller or I can't imagine! Where's WValley in comparison to Olympia? :)

I was gone for the last week and when I got back there was some damage to some of my corals that I attribute to heat. My tank has gone as high as 87 with no damage, but I think it got hotter, maybe 90?, when I was gone. The major damage was my refugium. The calerpa just melted into a go that had to be cleaned out. Everything else looks like it's going to be fine though.

Back