Hinges

dwolson2

So I am going to put the hinges on the stand today, I bought internal hinges like what was on my 75, for a nice clean look. Then I started thinking about using cabinet grade external hinges. The reason for the external, they will open wider, as well as won't rust like the internal hinges. So what do you guys think, internal or external?
Here are the internal:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...rizontal1-2-_-NA-_-100674557-_-N#.UB6OarSe6dg
And external:
http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen/h_...d=-1&keyword=hinge&storeId=10051#.UB6OzrSe6dg

I've used both in the past and haven't had an issue with either rusting. My current tank stand has the internal with no issue to date, but it has only been running for a year. If you prefer the internal and they were to rust after a couple of years you could just replace them.

I had replaced mine on my 75 in August last year, and they already had surface rust when I sold it. Yea, I could replace them every two years, I am just UN decided as which way to go. Trying to get a idea what others think.

Look into stainless quick release cabinet door hinges. I had both lowers and uppers rust on a 135 setup. The QR hinges are SUPER convenient for maintenance as you can very quickly and easily take the entire door off - its a hidden lever and takes seconds to put on and off. I had nickel coated and they rusted. I'd do stainless QR hinges if I were to use a hinged door again.

I have always used the external hinges because I thinks it's a more traditional look. Plus it gives you a chance to show off your hardware. Doors are usually the hardest part of the build IMO.

Good luck and please show pictures of your progress.

Larry

Will post pictures for sure.
Talked with the Mrs and she likes the look of the external hinges better. Had to show her both ways on the tank, and buy both.. Lol
Inside of the stand is now painted, but I won't get to the doors probably till next weekend. I kind of want to wait with those till I have done all the plumbing so they won't be in the way.

Back