hippo tang suddenly dies?

aandfsoccr04

I've had a hippo tang in my tank for about a year. No signs of disease or illness and was eating perfectly fine yesterday. He was pushing five or six inches so I was going to trade him to a local reefer tonight for some coral.

I caught him in a fish trap like the aquamedic brand with the sliding trapped door with some food in there at about 6 45. I went and had supper and then came back to the tank about an hour and a half later and the fish was just upside down and dead inside the trap? What the heck happened?

Why didn't you trap him and then take him (in a large receptacle to the new home) rather than leave him in the trap while you ate? Sorry, but this is just stupid.

probably stress i probably would have waited until i was done eating to trap him but ive heard of people that do that to get them calm... not sure if thats a myth or not but i would have got him after i ate he probably died from stress

tangs + stress = death every time!

catch fish, put in large container of their own tank water, add bubbler, portable heater, acclimate for a long time with water from new home, add fish to new home.

what you did was about like a family member coming into your home, trapping you and putting you in a small dog cage, then taking a break. you would have freaked out too!

First of all sorry for your loss.

Secondly, no wonder a lot of people ( including myself sometimes) are afraid to ask questions or suggestions on this site. Some of the comments are both rude and inappropriate. Just seems as more and more comments like ,"sorry, but this is just stupid" are seen on here. He was actually doing the right thing, by finding the hippo a new home.

Maybe I'm wrong but everyone that I help start up a new tank, I direct them here, and would hate for them to hear comments like these.

For op, stress is also my guess as to your fish death

Secondly, no wonder a lot of people ( including myself sometimes) are afraid to ask questions or suggestions on this site. Some of the comments are both rude and inappropriate. Just seems as more and more comments like ,"sorry, but this is just stupid" are seen on here. He was actually doing the right thing, by finding the hippo a new home.

Maybe I'm wrong but everyone that I help start up a new tank, I direct them here, and would hate for them to hear comments like these.

yeah... I agree...some people are overly protective of their fish and are quick to criticize other. I admit, I cycle with an angel and a pair of clowns. If I lost a fish, it means I lost $$ but he/she is easily replaceable..>:) If I ask why my fish die, I just want to know the reason so I can prevent it next time...I don't want to hear stupid *** comments

Did the fish show any signs of injury? If it panicked and tried to escape, it could've beat itself into oblivion.

How big was the trap? 90 minutes is a long time for fish in a small trap if it can't turn around.

In the future trap the fish immediately take it out and put it is a 5 gallon bucket half full with tank water. Smaller than the space it wants but enough to swim around in. Then take it to the destination.

Finding the hippo a new home and completely screwing up how to transfer if are two different subjects.

Stress is also your guess as to the fish death? No ****?

my first guess is stress and secondly they are good actors of dead fish too. u would think its dead but as soon they dont see no danger they come back to life.

Back