Hippo tang

st0ned0g

I got a blue hippo tang about a month ago or so, and put him in my main tank about a week ago. Ever since he has been in the main he has not come out of one whole in the rock. He is eating, I have put the veggi clip abuot 2" from his whole and I have seen him pecking at it.

It is a 100g (5' long) and I only have 1 other fish, a damsel. The two fish have staid on opesit ends of the tank..... Any ideas at how to get him to swim around more?

Try moving the veggie clip somewhere else in the tank so that he has to come out to eat.
It might take him a little while to get comfortable enough to swim around.

Also, this size tank is not large enough for this fish as a permanent residence. These fish grow large and swim a lot, he will need more room.

I got a blue hippo tang about a month ago or so, and put him in my main tank about a week ago. Ever since he has been in the main he has not come out of one whole in the rock. He is eating, I have put the veggi clip abuot 2" from his whole and I have seen him pecking at it.

It is a 100g (5' long) and I only have 1 other fish, a damsel. The two fish have staid on opesit ends of the tank..... Any ideas at how to get him to swim around more?

You could get by with a Purple Tang in a 5 footer but Reef Central experts suggest an 8 ft minimum with the Blue Heptatus due to aggression and swimming room needs.

Hippo tangs are very shy when first introduced, especially if they are small. It is not unusual for it to hide for a week, especially if is under 2" in size. How big is yours?

Also, a few 'dither' fish might make him feel more secure. With no other fish swimming around, he might feel all the others went into hiding and it is unsafe to come out.

Clowns, anthias, chromis, etc. Their being 'out there' may signal the coast is clear and then it will venture out.

Back