Hitchhiker ID and Coral ID

TheORKINMan

First the hitchhiker, some kind of tube worm that came in with my stony oyster ive had for a while but just havent bothered to ID:

IMG_0278.jpg

Second is a coral I just picked up from the LFS. I THINK it's a deepwater Lobo but I'm not certain, it hasnt completely opened in my tank yet but the mouth is green then it goes to red, then it has yellow speckles outside.

IMG_0294-Copy.jpg

Honestly, your photos aren't sufficient to provide any sort of accurate ID. I can't even tell what I'm looking at in the first photo. You need to find a way to achieve better focus and less distortion. I would suggest standing back a bit further from the subject to achieve better focus (you can crop later, most cameras capture very high resolution images anyway), and use a tripod or some other type of stand to keep your camera still while taking the photos. Also, you should always try to keep your camera facing perpendicular to the aquarium wall, otherwise the refraction from the glass/acrylic will cause major distortion.

The pictures are fuzzy but the orange worm in the first one is a vermetid snail. It's one of the large species. These tend to be slow growing & don't take over tanks like the small species with translucent reddish-brown tubes.

If this is a huge vermatid snail is this something I need to consider getting rid of? I havent seen more of them popping up but in general these are pests right? This one is about the size of a dime.

from what I have heard of the vermatid snails, they don't REALLY bother anything. Also, if he is in "rockwork" seemingly the only way to get rid of him is to chisel him out. I'd leave it since leslie says it is one of the large species, and grows very slowly. Kinda like another cool aspect to your tank.

Okay cool, yeah he's actually in the side of a Spiny Oyster away from the rockwork. Only annoying thing about it is apparently my hand in the tank scares the bajeezus out of it and causes it to upchuck its innards which are then eaten by my tang. Kinda gross but other then that it's almost like a sun coral polyp that moves.

Back