Hitchhiking star?

stkitts

Here's a picture of a small (4" spread out) star that suddenly appeared in my tank. What is it and should I find him a new home?
119961DSC00202.jpg

sand sifter. hes ok, and reef safe mostly. if you have live sand, they eat copepods and ampods as well as their larva. REEF-ON!!!

I would get rid of him.
He will eat all your pods that you want in your sand to keep it clean. At least that is IMO.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565118#post7565118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by namas
I would get rid of him.
He will eat all your pods that you want in your sand to keep it clean. At least that is IMO.

your opinion is wrong! those a mini bristle starfish. they are great detritus eater, and will help keep the sandbed clean. they dont get much bigger than 1-1 1/2" in dia. so if they do eat a pod or to they wont wipe out the population. this a treasured creatures in your tank.

he mentioned that the brittle is 4'' across. the one he has is not a minibrittle. i'd keep him though, he won't do any harm to your reef.

i was judging by the pic didnt even read the description. if it is 4" then its not a mini star, but a serpent, or regular bristle. i still wouldnt worry about taking it out of the tank. if it gets to big then maybe take it to the LFS and trade it in.

Back