HLG drivers 240 and 185

ghellin

Is anybody running an HLG-240-48B or HLG-185-42B with multiple strings on their LED builds I would like to know how well they dim with a reef keeper or 1-10v analog. I am planning a big build and would like to hear some real time pros and cons.

Thanks.

Hi, i am currently running 3 HLG-185-42Bs with the following strings:
- 4 strings of XM-L white (8 x coolwhite + 4 x warm white)
- 8 strings of 11 XP-G royal blue
- 4 strings of 11 XP-G blue + 4 strings of 11 XP-g royal blue

Off course I did include the necessary fuses and resistors. As you see all strings are running at relatively low currents when compared to the max current per led. However this way they are more efficient en do not get as hot.

Dimming is done with a profilux which works very well. I am very positive about the set up, but coral growth has to prove itself since I only started the tank about a month ago.

The only drawback I found is that dimming does no go to 0%. There is a clear step from on to off.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Regards and good luck with your decision,
Paul.

FYI...I ran into some information regarding the 240's as I was researching my build. Please not the following (lifted from another thread - sorry, don't recall who posted it). This issue only applied to the 240's. The HLGs are three way dimmable though so they should be able to be dimmed with any controller.

----------------------

I talked to Mean well tech support today and he explained how to read the serial numbers to get the production date. The new HGL 240 with the 1-10 volt dimming has to be produced after July 13 2011

The way to get the date code off the serial number is the 2-4 digit of the serial number.

B0 for the 2 and 3 digit is 2010
B1 is 2011
B2 is 2012
the month is the 4th digit
1= January
2= February
3= March
4= April
5= May
6= June
7= July
8= August