HOB Aquaclear over a filter sock?

dnguyen1

Will work for fish
Hey guys,

I read up on filter socks, but I don't like to have to clean them every few days... I'm the laziest person this side of the US ;)

Anyways.... I read up on the AquaClear HOB w/ the media filter that runs carbon really helps w/ water clarity. I have no doubts about this since I run carbon in my Fish Only tank and it works great.

My question is who has placed a HOB in their sump and what kind of maintenance is required? Once a week to clean out detritus?

Does carbon steal away any nutrients from corals/inverts/fish, etc? Coral Frenzy and all those other ultra small feedings safe?

Thanks a lot in advance

Hey guys,

I read up on filter socks, but I don't like to have to clean them every few days... I'm the laziest person this side of the US ;)
Then you probably shouldn't be doing a reef tank.

Anyways.... I read up on the AquaClear HOB w/ the media filter that runs carbon really helps w/ water clarity. I have no doubts about this since I run carbon in my Fish Only tank and it works great.

My question is who has placed a HOB in their sump and what kind of maintenance is required? Once a week to clean out detritus?
It's six of one and a half dozen of the other. Changing filter socks is so easy. And you don't clean them, the washing machine does. Buy 8 and change them ever 3 or 4 days (that's 4 weeks. Store the dirty ones in a bucket of water (any kind) and then wash them all once a month. You have to change (gets pricey) HOB filters or wash them (by hand). Your choice?

Does carbon steal away any nutrients from corals/inverts/fish, etc? Coral Frenzy and all those other ultra small feedings safe?
Carbon removes chemicals from the water. If you have bad chemicals like clorine it's great, if you have good chemicals like iodine, it's bad.

Do the right thing and get some socks!

Thanks a lot in advance

Thank you sir!!! I am ashamed to say I'm lazy... but now that the secret is out, I will do my best to be less lazy and get some socks

If you're really lazy make a screen of eggcrate over the output of your HOB filter and drape filter floss over it to screen out particulate matter. A years supply of filter floss aka polyester batting will cost less than $10 at a fabric store. When it's time to change the floss pull the old floss and throw it away and put new floss in place. No doing laundry involved ........... ;)

Being lazy is fine just plan your maintenance around it... buy enough socks to last long enough and wash them all at once like Ron said... Your going to have to change something every 4-5 days no matter what ya choose.. I wash out the sponge on my freshwater tank HOB every week... and replace every 3 months..

Back