HOB filter setup

Bphilpott15

Hi all,

Quick question in regards to my HOB filter my current media basket is a sponge on bottom, chemi pure blue then a small crate of bio balls and finally small amount of filter floss, my question is would it be more beneficial to ditch the small amount of bio balls and have more filter floss instead?

My tank is a 44Litre nano and has a small clown pair, leather coral, small zoa frag, red mushroom coral and green clove polyos, 1 X peppermint shrimp, 1 X conch and 1x scarlet hermit

Thanks

If you have sufficient rock/sand inside the tank for nitrifying bacteria to colonize, I would say ditch the bio-balls.

The bioballs probably aren't doing much if you have established live rock. I wouldn't, however, add more floss. Because it needs to be changed frequently it will just use your supply faster. If you put more in thinking it will last longer you will actually be hurting your system more than helping due to the break down of detritus trapped in the floss. I'd use just enough (if any at all) to keep the chemipure from getting clogged.

The bioballs probably aren't doing much if you have established live rock. I wouldn't, however, add more floss. Because it needs to be changed frequently it will just use your supply faster. If you put more in thinking it will last longer you will actually be hurting your system more than helping due to the break down of detritus trapped in the floss. I'd use just enough (if any at all) to keep the chemipure from getting clogged.

Okay I'll do that, you say use enough to not clog the chemi pure have I not go my media in the right order then? Currently in my HOB I have s sponge on bottom them chemi pure and the filterfloss?

Thanks

The water comes from n from the top? If so, I’d leave out the sponge too, but then I’m a “no mechanical filtration” sorta guy. Use the sponge, if you want, on the inlet side. Much easier to pull it out for cleaning that way.

Back