Hob overflow recommendations

mfaso24

I have a 50 gallon tank with no sump and I'm getting to the point where I need one. Anyway, I have a mag 9.5 that will be pumping water from the basement up to the tank. Anyone know of an overflow box that can handle the flow?

Vinny Kreyling

Premium Member
Take a look @ the Lifereef site, he has a few you can look at there. to help make up your mind.
I have one that will do about 600 GPH if you are interested, Suffolk.

mfaso24

Take a look @ the Lifereef site, he has a few you can look at there. to help make up your mind.
I have one that will do about 600 GPH if you are interested, Suffolk.

Yeah I just want to make sure 600gph is enough for my pump. Don't want to have to get another pump or return/exchange overflow. Especially after all plumbing is done. But I would be interested in checking yours out? Any pics?

fishgate

What is the head on that mag? I don't think it has enough power for that head height. Might get almost no flow at all.

mfaso24

What is the head on that mag? I don't think it has enough power for that head height. Might get almost no flow at all.

I thought it wouldn't, but I actually used this pump for pumping up water for water changes and it has a decent flow. I wouldn't know the exact number unfortunately.

fishgate

I thought it wouldn't, but I actually used this pump for pumping up water for water changes and it has a decent flow. I wouldn't know the exact number unfortunately.

I looked it up; ~13ft max. Starting at 950gph at 0, I don't think you are going to get much flow at the height you need coming from a basement. Be prepared to get a stronger pump. You've got to be at or over the 13 feet.

mfaso24

I think it's at 12 feet truthfully. But like I said I did water changes with the pump at the bottom of a brute can through I think 1.5 flex tubing. I honestly was shocked at the amount of flow. If I had to take a wild guess I would estimate around 300 gph. So figure if I run a sump on a stand that's another 3 feet or so higher the pump will be.

Zooxanthus

I had a problem with too much flow once in an overflow box and i just added a second U tube and that fixed the problem.