HOB Overflow Water Level

HMG-Reefer

My 80g has a HOB overflow and when I first set it up the water level in the pre-filter box, inside the tank, was lower than the tank level. It slowly crept up and is now level with the tank water. Is this normal or should I be worried? I am paranoid about those types of overflows, but that’s what I got.

Im not to sure if thats ok or not. You probably should clean the tubes and hoses because it sounds like its not pulling as much water as it used to.

Yes the level went down to where it originally was. I guess that is a good indicator to when it's time to clean it out.

if light is hitting the utube, try painting it black or put some tape on it to slow down the algae growth in there.

Yes the light is right over the top. I had thought about painting it but thought if it got an air bubble in there I wouldn't be able to see it. I do like the tape idea. I put a piece of that blue painters masking tape over the top, that way it pulls back easy to check for bubbles. We'll see how that works on the algae growth. Thanks.

Back