HOB protein skimmer versus in sump?

jayjay5531

Which is better? What are the actual pros and cons?

I have this HOB skimmer http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...d=03cseYY&ref=6194&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_B_6194 but I want to get a sump, and I'm wondering if I should eventually get an in-sump skimmer to utilize that space. I know with the HOB filters they say to position the intake so that it collects from the surface of the water. Is this actually an advantage? Don't you lose that advantage with an in-sump filter?

Also, I've heard that venturi skimmers are better than countercurrent skimmers? How do I know which type mine is? Has anyone here used the one I have^ and liked it?

Thanks!!

HOB skimmers are OK if you don't have a sump and it's a smaller tank. In sump skimmers tent to be bigger, more powerful and used on bigger tanks. I had a HOB when I started with a 30g tank. But I went to a sump and in sump skimmer when I upgraded to a 75g tank.

Skimming off the surface is for the HOB skimmer because you aren't clearing the surface with an overflow (the drain that collects the water and moves it to the sump) that does the surface skimming and puts it in the sump. So in sump skimmers don't need to take surface water as that's what has been delivered to the sump.

One nice thing about an in sump skimmer is if they overflow it just goes back in the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One nice thing about an in sump skimmer is if they overflow it just goes back in the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 skimmers tend to overflow frequently. I had a HOB skimmer (BH2000) and had more than one overflow and mess to clean up. If you can do in-sump that is the way to go for sure.

I have had a aquamaxx hob-1 on my tank for well over a year and it never overflowed -- saying that they overflow frequently is a bit odd. Maybe it depends on the collection cup?

Most I have had would overflow back into the neck of the skimmer if something causes it to start skimming super wet for some reason. The aquamaxx overflows back into the skimmer body as well.

I am not familiar with your reef octopus HOB but from the picture it looks like it has a venturi -- usually a venturi skimmer will have a airline hose going into a tube before the pump. The venturi effect pulls air through the tube as water passes by and as such injects air into the water as it goes into the pump. A modern skimmer will have a pump impeller that is a needle wheel or mesh wheel type impeller to pull water and chop the air into tiny bubbles for skimming efficiency. That is really the basic function of a venturi skimmer.

What's the best way then to move surface water into the sump, other than drilling into the glass?

A properly designed sump filtration system will never overflow. Either drilled or with a HOB overflow. So really there should be no worries on that end. A skimmer, however, can be finicky. For instance, if you change your filter sock, the skimmer can go crazy and overflow. If the water level changes it can overflow. Some people never experience this. I had it twice with my BH2000 in 2 years. The first time I was not home and it overflowed and went through the floor to the basement room below it (probably a gallon of water). The 2nd I happened to be there right as it happened and stopped it. From that point I decided never to do a HOB again. ymmv

if you we worried about the skimmer overflowing then that will give you a heart attack when it overflows

i used HOB overflows extensively for several years with no issues. great way to add a sump to a non-drilled tank.

in fact, i still have one of them running on my grow out tank. got rid of the other when i upgraded my system to include two drilled tanks.

the e-shoppes overflows are the ones to get in my opinion.

+1 skimmers tend to overflow frequently. I had a HOB skimmer (BH2000) and had more than one overflow and mess to clean up. If you can do in-sump that is the way to go for sure.

If you make a few modifications to the BH2000.... It will not overflow. Mine used to overflow on startup on occasion, but since I modified it, it has been fine for over a year. An in sump is definitely the way the go, but I started using a HOB skimmer since it was given to me. It worked very well and pulled a good amount of gunk out of the water. I upgraded later on, but I now use the HOB in my QT tank.

Back