HOB protein skimmer

phata31681

Looking to start a 40 gallon FOWLR TANK.

My question is I don't want to do a sumo to start off. So I have been looking in to the following HOB Protein Skimmer.

Reef Octopus classic 100 HOB Protein Skimmer

Just want to see what people though about it? Also with this do I still need to have another filtration device such as a HOB Power Filter? Such as a aqua clear 70 HOB power filter.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes.. the RO HOB skimmers are good..
I'm running an eshopps psk-75h on a 40b tank and really like it

In general you really don't need a mechanical filter at all in a reef tank.. but as long as you do the maintenance (frequent filter change/replacement/cleaning) its just fine and will help clear up random crap in the water..
I don't/won't use one unless I just added sand to a tank and its cloudy or during cleaning (turkey baster to blow detritus,etc..) off the rocks and let the filter pull it out..

yes.. the RO HOB skimmers are good..
I'm running an eshopps psk-75h on a 40b tank and really like it

In general you really don't need a mechanical filter at all in a reef tank.. but as long as you do the maintenance (frequent filter change/replacement/cleaning) its just fine and will help clear up random crap in the water..
I don't/won't use one unless I just added sand to a tank and its cloudy or during cleaning (turkey baster to blow detritus,etc..) off the rocks and let the filter pull it out..

Ok Thanks so I only need to run a Protein Skimmer for filtration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok Thanks so I only need to run a Protein Skimmer for filtration?

You really don't need a protein skimmer either..
But every little bit helps..

The only thing one really needs is stable saltwater and a powerhead (water movement/oxygenation) .. maybe a heater depending on temp..

Water changes alone can really take care of everything else.. But as you start to increase in water volume having more equipment attempting to help you is beneficial..
I've had 10 Gallon crammed full coral tanks with nothing but a powerhead/heater do fine for years on weekly 5G changes or less..

Back