HOB Skimmer for 29g FOWLR - Octopus vs AquaC Remora

vid660

I have a 29g FOWLR and I can't decided between these two:

Octopus BH 100F HOB Skimmer
Advantage: Pump is in the skimmer, not in the tank
Disadvantage: It's clear plastic, so the skimmmate will be visible
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopu...otein-br-skimmer-with-filter-system-1013.html

AquaC Remora HOB Skimmer
Advantage: Plastic is smoked, so skimmate is not visible
Disadvantage: Pump is in tank
http://www.aquacave.com/aquac-remora-protein-skimmerbr-with-maxi-jet-1200-pump-908.html

Does anyone have experience with either, or better yet, both of these units?

Last edited:
I have the aqua c remora and I have pretty much finally gotten it to where I like it. I run it with a maxjet 1200 which has sufficed for now. Some people like to upgrade the pumps but your best bet would be to contact aqua c and see what they say about it (they will suggest larger pumps depending on your situation). The smoked plastic is to prevent algae growth in the body of the skimmer. The collection cup is clear plastic so you can see the skimmate unless you have the collection cup adjusted all the way down (mine is all the way up, I want to see the skimmate so I have an idea of whats going on), yes the pump is in the tank but you're running a HOB, must pumps are going to be in the tank or something from the skimmer is going to be in the tank. Maybe you should look into the Tunze, I've heard good things and I have contemplated buying it myself, only downside is its bulky and goes in your tank, small price to pay for quality though.

I did look into the Tunze, but they take up too much room in the tank. They are also kinda pricey. I know they are great quality, but my 29g is going to just end up being a QT. I don't want to dump a bunch of money on a skimmer, but also don't want to buy a crappy one either. Just looking for something that will work fairly well and last awhile. I have no plans for a sump on that tank since the stand is too limiting on size. Just too narrow.

I found the octopus hob skimmer thread and ended up ordering the BH100F. Hopefully it'll work for my little 29g. I think I'll use some black fusion spray paint on the front portion of the skimmer. That way it's not so noticeable when viewing the tank. I'd still be able to see what's going on in the skimmer and collection cup from either side.

That's what I like to hear. I hate scraping the glass! :lol:

I've got an Octopus nw150 on my 75g and it works great. Thought I'd stick with them again. Reasonably priced and works well.

Last edited:
Back