Hoping it will hold after all the money/time...plz help!

chaaban,

To expand on what Nano is saying, the new plywood strips under the top would be like mini joists in a house. You might want to google 'floor framing' to see the concept. Joists are laid on edge and supported at the ends by either a rim joist using hangers, some sort of sill or a beam. That is the part played by the "4" strip across the top of the door on the left side of the stand". This beam (really more of a header since it is above a door) needs to be supported and that is what the "2-3" wide strips up the corner of each door" do. On a house they would be called 'jack studs' framing doors or windows.

With all of this construction, none of the strength is from fasteners, its' from one piece of wood bearing directly above another.

Study house framing and it will all become clear. Perhaps there is a house under construction that you can look at or let the internet be your teacher.

This is all fixable without the forest of 2x4s you show.

chaaban,

To expand on what Nano is saying, the new plywood strips under the top would be like mini joists in a house. You might want to google 'floor framing' to see the concept. Joists are laid on edge and supported at the ends by either a rim joist using hangers, some sort of sill or a beam. That is the part played by the "4" strip across the top of the door on the left side of the stand". This beam (really more of a header since it is above a door) needs to be supported and that is what the "2-3" wide strips up the corner of each door" do. On a house they would be called 'jack studs' framing doors or windows.

With all of this construction, none of the strength is from fasteners, its' from one piece of wood bearing directly above another.

Study house framing and it will all become clear. Perhaps there is a house under construction that you can look at or let the internet be your teacher.

This is all fixable without the forest of 2x4s you show.

Thanks for the explanation, i now think i understand how this works, the way you explained it all made sense and putting what you and nano has said, I will finish up another drawing to show you guys before i go ahead and buy the wood.

LOL....."This is all fixable without the forest of 2x4s you show.".....sooo true :sad2:

Heres a revised version, hopefully im closer to understanding what needs to be done. I have one question, does the red 4" strip going across the top go flush with the 1.5" strips on the underside of the top?

picture.php

I was just looking inside the stand at the underside of the top and I notice that there is only a frame piece on 2 of the 4 sides, with the 2 door sides not having that frame piece. So my question is , do I then glue the 1.5" strips directly to the underside of the plywood top instead of glueing them to the frame (which only has two sides to it ) ?

Here's a picture to help show what I mean:

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Back