Houston we have a "problem"

nladd

So as the title states I noticed a slight "problem" while examining my tank tonight. I want bigger. Currently have a 29g biocube that I love but I want a tank that I can add a sump and led lights and the whole 9 yards without a whole lot of customization. Currently I'm looking at a 55g, 60g cube, 75g or possibly a 90g cube. I won't actually pull the trigger till sometime around the holidays after doing all my research and preps involved in a bigger tank. Just kind of throwing around the ideas in my head right now. Anyone make a jump to a larger tank like this? Was it worth it?

I don't think I've ever read anyone say that they regretted upgrading their tank size. But certain sizes, like the standard 55g, are singled out for not having ideal dimensions. The 55g is too narrow for proper aquascaping from what I've read.

Otherwise I think you'd enjoy those other options you listed. Most would probably tell you just to upgrade all the way to the 90g cube. It just seems that we always have a bigger tank in mind than the one we actually own. If you like this hobby enough, you'll certainly enjoy a bigger tank as long as you have the budget for it.

i upgraded from 50G to 150G and it's worth it. more places for corals and more fish options. i'll probably upgrade to 210G in 2016.

I just upgraded from a biocube 29 myself.
I installed a dimmable led retrofit in my cube, and was very happy with the change. Cycled the tank, and had a lone clown fish in there until I decided how I wanted to stock my tank.

A year later, I never did add anything else. I knew I wanted a mixed reef, and the biocube was fine for that.
My problem was the fish. Just wasn't happy being able to add a few small fish. Decided we wanted to go with bigger fish than my cube would support.

So here I am, 4 months into my new tank running. Decided on a 125 gallon, and very glad I made the change. I have a 40b sump, vertex omega skimmer, reefbreeders lighting. Everything is going well so far, and I am slowly stocking up. Like everyone says, the tank ends up being the cheapest part. Get what you want before you get too involved inyyour build.

i started with a 14g biocube. a few months later, i added a 29g biocube right next to the first one. a year ago, i combined both into a 75g and have been very happy with it. go as big as you can afford.

I'd second the "biggest you can afford/your spouse will tolerate" thought.

But that may not be specific enough to be helpful, so here are a few other thoughts that might assist you.

Within a certain range, the cost of equipment for a tank primarily depends on the length more than it does the volume. That's an effect of the lighting required for a given length of tank, as high intensity lighting for a reef tank is easily the most expensive purchase. For example, the equipment required to run a standard 120g tank is very nearly the same as the equipment required to run a 75g tank (the 120g is 24" front-to-back; the 75g is 18" front-to-back; both are 4' long).

As mentioned above, certain sizes of tanks in the "standard" list are much preferred for reef tanks because a wider, shallower tank is a lot easier to set-up, maintain and light than a tall, narrow tank. Typical, ideal tank sizes are: 40g breeder, 75g, 120g in the 3 and 4 foot-long category. In the 6-foot long category, 180g and 220g tanks are popular for the same reasons.

Most standard-dimension cube tanks work quite well for reef tanks, they tend to have an ideal footprint dimension vs. height ratio.

Going with a custom tank also allows one to select relatively shallow, wide tanks. Many 5 foot long tanks offered by custom manufacturers are specifically targeted at reefers.

Be careful of the size if you decide to stay with a cube footprint. For a fish only tank it doesn't matter much, but if you go to a reef tank the lighting can get very expensive when the cube gets bigger than a 24" x 24" footprint since most lighting systems are designed around that format. If you went to a 36" cube you would need 4 lights to cover the tank for coral while you could cover a standard 120 gallon tank (48" x 24") with only two lights.

If you have a 120, even a 105, what you can keep is FAR less limited. It does cost more for lights, if you want stony coral, but there's also no rule that says you can't zone the tank, either, from very bright to dimmer; and T5's will carry LPS stony nicely.

I just went from a 40b to a 57 rimless, not a very dramatic jump but I'm really really happy with it. No regrets!

I upgraded my freshwater from a 55 to a 75...the 55 was so narrow the 75 is like a breath of fresh air - so much more room to maneuver things around.

I moved from a 93cube, to a 500 gallon system.
Yeah big jump, but one I planned for over 6 months.
Scarier still, my 93 cube contents were all moving to the new tank which was 5 hours drive away. So I had to get the big tank set up, stable, and start moving the fish, 1 or 2 at a time in 2 weekly intervals.

I did take water from the 93 cube and start the big tank off with that and some live rocks and sand to see it on, I moved the 1st fish 6 weeks after my cycle had completed, and completed the moved after a total of 6 months.

+1 for the 120g 48x24x24 makes a very nice mixed reef tank.

1a9cf1c139a0f94cf87b2af0cf774782.jpg

I went from a 55 to 90g, and it's still not quite enough for me, lol, but i have no regrets on the upgrade, i just wish i had a bit more in the budget to set up the 140 gallon waiting for me in the garage. 140g would give me far more fish options, at least the ones i would like to have. Thats what it would really depend on honestly, if your a tang fan, the bigger the better.

I went from a 28G nanoCube (purchased Dec 2013) to a 120G (48x24x24) tank (purchased Dec 2014).

Main reasons I upgraded ...

1) Corals were overgrowing nanoCube, they now have a lot more room for growth, and look a lot better spread out, instead of crowded together.
2) I wanted fish that needed a bigger setup - specifically Kole Tang, Diamond Goby & Mandarin

Only regret ... my Clowns (mixed pair of Ocellaris) seem freaked out by the bigger tank. They cower in the rear corner of the tank whenever the return pumps are on. They openly swim all over the tank when pumps are off for feeding. On the opposite end of the spectrum, my Firefish and Chromis appear to enjoy the wide open spaces - they're out all the time now. Clowns were out all the time in nanoCube, Chromis and Firefish were constantly hiding, now I've got the opposite happening!

Favorite "luxury" of my new tank ... my APEX Controller! While I had previously teched out my house with an automation system, my nanoCube was basically running "old school". The new tank is now as teched out as my house is!

I like all the ideas so far. I believe I've picked the tank I want to go with. I'm thinking of doing a 75 which will give fish plenty of tank length and depth to enjoy themselves in and plenty if space for rock and coral. Another main reason I want to go bigger is so I can add all the better things like a sump ATO and controller, I've noticed in the biocube that once you add a heater, media basket and skimmer you've pretty much used up all available space and with a bigger tank comes a bigger stand to store and hide all that stuff

Back