How are you guys not scratching glass w/ sand when you clean??

mattnano

Hi all!

I have been thinking about getting back into the reef hobby and have been looking at the tank/stand/sump combo's a lot of manufactures have been putting out. When I had a low iron glass tank on a rare occasion I would get a little bit of sand stuck between the magnets or the scraper on the end would pick up a little sand and within a few years I had scratches all along the bottom of my tank. the only solution I can think of is to have the sand lower then the highest part of the tank so when you scrape algae there is no risk of pulling up sand. That does not seem to be an option with these new set ups. Any suggestions would be helpful as its one of the biggest things holding me back from pulling the trigger.

For example I really like this set up but in the photo the sand is right up against the wall.. Even when I used a scraper on a pole I would inevitably grab some sand and scratch the glass.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/deluxe-reefer-250-complete-system-54-gal-red-sea.html

Thanks!

-Matt

2 types of people in this hobby...
Those that scratch their glass and those that are careful :)

Those with low iron glass or acrylic need to be even more careful than those that don't..

I never get a mag down close enough to the sand and if I need to clean down there its just a scraper pushing down..

Tunze Care magnets are much less likely to pick up sand, in fact I can clean below the sand line without picking up any.

Back