How are you rinsing your GFO before using it in your reactor?

mille239

Premium Member
Just as the question states, I know you should rinse your GFO with RO/DI to remove the dust before running on your reef, but what is the best way to do so? I have a TLF phosban reactor, and I fill it up with new GFO, and try to run the intake hose to my RO/DI spiggot, but there is not much pressure get it all rinsed well before reinstalling. I'm afraid using the tap (with greater pressure) would depleat a good percentage of the GFO's absorbtion capabilities right off the bat, or even worse introduce more phosphate to the tank.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome!

I've resorted to using the sink because anything less just doesn't get all of the fine particles out of the GFO. I've ended up with a fine coating of GFO all over the tank before, I don't want to do that again.

Whenever I change mine I just put a few gallons of RO/DI in a bucket and drop the supply pump for my GFO reactor into it. I direct the output to another bucket until it runs clean, then I put it back in the sump the way I had it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838022#post14838022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ambaratur
Whenever I change mine I just put a few gallons of RO/DI in a bucket and drop the supply pump for my GFO reactor into it. I direct the output to another bucket until it runs clean, then I put it back in the sump the way I had it.

Smart thinking! That's why I love this forum... someone always comes up with something that you might have overlooked. Anyone else?

Another option would be to just remove the outlet tube from the sump & put into a bucket. Then simply pump a few gallons of your sump out & dispose. Refill sump & your done. Also accomplishes a small water change.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838204#post14838204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THE ROOK
Another option would be to just remove the outlet tube from the sump & put into a bucket. Then simply pump a few gallons of your sump out & dispose. Refill sump & your done. Also accomplishes a small water change.

Another Winner!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838204#post14838204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THE ROOK
+1 but after getting the reactor set I pull more water and do a full water change.

Like mentioned above- I reload my reactor and do a waterchange using the reactor pump turned up as high as it will go (Maxi Jet 600). Takes a little while to pump 20 gallons out but it works well.

I change mine as part of a water change, I put the new GFO in and set it all back up but direct the output hose into a 5g bucket and waste 5g of water before directing the output back into the sump.

I never rinse mine. I use the Bulk Reef Supply GFO and just stick it straight in. Never had any problems.

+1 with the rook as this is how ive always done it.
And as said adds a small water change every month on top of regular maintenence.

Exactly how I do mine too.

:thumbsup: That's exactly what I do. Basically I let it run (half to 3 gallons depending) until the water coming out is crystal clear. I also "bust" water into the media chamber decreasing and increasing the flow drastically during the period. That does a pretty good job of getting all the air and loose particles into the open water in the reactor .

Back