How best to get the Big-3 (Ca, Alk, Mg) in balance???

lapoolboy

Ok, I need guidance...

I have read and read until I'm blue in the face! I am more confused now than when I started!

I have an Elos Mini (approx. 20 gal system total). I have been performing weekly 3 gallon water changes using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I waited a couple of water changes and tested Ca, Alk, and Mg to get baseline readings. The Ca was 400, the Alk was 9, and the Mg was 1240. I would like to keep the Mg around 1350, so last night, I dosed 10mL and will retest tonight to see where that put the Mg.

My question is, won't all my efforts be skewed again the next time I perform a water change? I originally planned to raise Mg first, and then Ca and Alk to where I want them (1350, 420, and 9 respectively) manually by adding the additives in the necessary quantities. Or, am I close enough on Ca and Alk if I just bring the Mg up a little?

Can anyone help me out and tell me how best to proceed?

Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Premium Member
My question is, won't all my efforts be skewed again the next time I perform a water change?

If you want the tank higher than your salt mix, yes. I boost my IO with magnesium, and never add any to the tank. :)

lapoolboy

I will mix up a fresh batch and see what the parameters are. Makes no sense to try to keep levels higher than the salt mix. Maybe I can get away with just adding some Mg to the mix and call it done.