How big is too big?

shesacharmer

Starting a new 75 gal tank with sump. If I chose to make my fish wish list with the largest fish first...where should I draw the line? Is a 6" fish ok in a 75 if all other fish are smaller?

Check out the minimum tank sizes at liveaquaria.com. They have a menu to narrow down all the fish by minimum tank size. Very useful and the recommended sizes are generally spot on.

Glad to see your not going all gong ho and doing your homework. I first started and got pretty much all of my stock along with the tank as a "buy it all" package. After that any fish I wanted I check on it's requirements along with compatible tank mates. That would be a first step in selecting a fish. You find one you like and most of the time it will tell you what it's compatible with, and the care and tank size it needs. Good luck...you are already off to a great start.

With my tropical fish tank background I know me...I'm likely to overstock. I'm trying to work up my wish list (compatibility is key) and then stick to it. It will be a reef system so I have to limit myself. So far my list is as follows:

Bengaii Cardinal
PJ Cardinal
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Lawnmower Blennie
Royal Gramma Basslet
Dwarf Flame Angel
Pair of False Percs

I'm told the Angel is a 50/50 reef risk but if not that then what other large statement fish? A One Spot Foxface maybe?

I think it's a really good stock you want there. Not to big and just perfect for that size tank.I have everything you have plus a few tangs, But I have a 180, mixed. The Angel did wreak havoc when I first got it, but I think it was mostly getting to know if everything was edible or not...Now shes a bit more relaxed, I really have no more problems. My Crazy Hippo does more damage than her. By far your fav will be the blennie, know it or not.

When you do develop a fish list that you are comfortable with, post it in sticky #2 in the New to the Hobby Forum (for checking intended fish purchases).
Snorvich, aka Steve, is always great with livestock reviews.

Ive seen a flame angel tear corals apart... They werent doin well and the flame knew it and did a number on them .... They look awesome tho, when u buy it see if the lfs will take it back of you have trouble with it...Not sayin dont get it tho, its worth a shot and alot of people have no problems.
I would also add fish slowly once you feel its getting full.. I have 5 small fish in my 40b and i wont add anymore, i reallyy wanna keep the bioload under control bc my main focus is really my lps. Goodluck tho reef tanks are a whole lot of fun!!!

The main thing to consider is the fish stress factor. On a 75g IMO, it would be best to go around 2 to 3 inches max.

Back