How can I clean my glass??

r2odie

Need help/suggestions removing stains on inside of glass. Bought the tank (375 gallon) used. I've tried vinegar and Bar keepers Friend, citric acid and razor blade.

Attachments

• 2502BB73-BC03-4035-9D23-ED06F174ADD3.jpeg
    2502BB73-BC03-4035-9D23-ED06F174ADD3.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FD020380-3515-4C38-95F3-C91F0809A140.jpeg
    FD020380-3515-4C38-95F3-C91F0809A140.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • E02718D4-46AD-44D9-A6AA-05AD2FD9A349.jpeg
    E02718D4-46AD-44D9-A6AA-05AD2FD9A349.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 0
I would fill it up with water for a week to have that stuff soak off. then drain tank and try to clean it. I'm asuming you got this tank from Florida also. who ever sold the tank to you probably used outside unfiltered water to clean the tank, and the stains are result of that.

I would fill it up with water for a week to have that stuff soak off. then drain tank and try to clean it. I'm asuming you got this tank from Florida also. who ever sold the tank to you probably used outside unfiltered water to clean the tank, and the stains are result of that.

Yes I think you are correct. Plus I've leak tested it twice with hose water, that sure didn't help. šŸ˜‘

are those stains noticeable when water is filled? I think ill come off on its own eventually with the tank running.

The tank is currently filling. How much vinegar is suggested to really clean this? Itā€™s 120ā€ x 24ā€ x 30ā€ = 375 gallons. The last time I tried I used about 3 gallons.

try simple green. Works for removing alot of various things like oils.. calcium build up and other stuff.

Also you can take # 000 steel wool to the glass and polish it..

Glass is stronger then that grade steel so it wont scratch

Try 00 or 0000 steel wool.. 0000 is safer but 00 will work too. try it in a small section first if youre worried... But like razor blades its hard for steel to scratch glass

try simple green. Works for removing alot of various things like oils.. calcium build up and other stuff.

Also you can take # 000 steel wool to the glass and polish it..

Glass is stronger then that grade steel so it wont scratch

Don't use simple green if there are other, functioning tanks nearby. There are more types of simple green than you might think. A plumber used simple green to clean up after he did some toilet work in a room close to my tank. The tank had been running flawlessly for two years. One hour after the cleanup, everthing in the tank was dead. Fumes!

Don't use simple green if there are other, functioning tanks nearby. There are more types of simple green than you might think. A plumber used simple green to clean up after he did some toilet work in a room close to my tank. The tank had been running flawlessly for two years. One hour after the cleanup, everthing in the tank was dead. Fumes!

OMG how awful. Thanks for the warning. My tank is currently outside. Haven't tried simple green yet. Wonder if I should?

OMG how awful. Thanks for the warning. My tank is currently outside. Haven't tried simple green yet. Wonder if I should?

It's the fumes that are hard on existing tanks. The outside cleanup with full and thorough rinse I wouldn't think could be harmful.

A note about simple green: only one kind is considered 100% safe to the environment. Others have runoff warnings for danger to fish and livestock. Read the label and decide on usage.

I had a similar issue when I got my used glass tank.
asked here, tried everything already mentioned here, nothing worked.

the marks/stains do become invisible when filled with water, so I just left it alone.

Its possible that the glass has become etched, although the pattern looks more like water droplets. If its not visible when you fill the tank, I would just leave it.

I would never use an abrasive on glass.

Back