How do I avoid transferring pest algaes to new tank?

mirkus

My last reef tank is still up and running but the results are disastrous. After AEFW, I'm left with a tank with tons of caleurpa, red hair algae, and another macro algae that isn't so bad.

I'll be starting off again with mostly base rock a couple of pieces of live rock.

How do I clean my pumps & skimmer effectively so I do not bring over caleurpa and red hair algae over to my new tank?

Bleach/Water Solution would be my first thought.

You can also cook your old rock and rid yourself of all that garbage, that way you can re-use the same rock down the road.

Rock-wise I agree with Amoore311. I would definitely cook it and make sure to do consistent water changes in whatever you're cooking it in. You could run your equipment, pumps, etc. in a vinegar/water solution. It will give them a good cleaning and the acidity should kill off any unwanted organisms.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12867082#post12867082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mirkus
bleach is safe to use? just need to make sure to rinse properly after?
It's safe to use on equipment, as long as you rinse plenty afterwards. I would definitely avoid using it on live rock for two reasons. 1) It makes the live rock no-longer-live rock:). 2) It tends to get caught in all the nooks and crannies, and there's a possibility of transferring it to a tank no matter how much you rinse.

Personally I wouldn't use bleach, but I'm super paranoid about using chemicals with anything related to my tank. People have used it in the past. Cooking the rocks IMO is definitely the best route and use vinegar for equipment.

Back