How do i clean my rocks

seagirl

Well ithink all my water problems are b/c of all the detritus and junk on my lr. I have tried the turkey baster, but there is just too much in the display.

So i want to take my rock out and clean it. How can i do this w/o killing everything on the rocks? can i take like 3 of the 5 gal buckets, fill each one with rodi water and pull my rocks out and dip them in it to clean it. i figured it if did this in three buckets by the time it made it to the third bucket most would be gone. will i hurt the lr by dipping it into fw. i won't have any corals on the rock. Any better suggestions are welcome. thanks

ludnix

I personally just brush the rocks lightly with an old tooth brush and let the detritus float into the water column and be filtered out.

rynon

Don't FW dip the rocks!!!! Use your water change water and dip them in that...over and over and over. DO NOT FW DIP THE ROCKS, you'll kill everything. Or take the rocks out, place them in "tubs" and using a large siphon or pump, pump water out of your tank and rinse them....kind of like a hose.

seagirl

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10481972#post10481972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rynon
Don't FW dip the rocks!!!! Use your water change water and dip them in that...over and over and over. DO NOT FW DIP THE ROCKS, you'll kill everything. Or take the rocks out, place them in "tubs" and using a large siphon or pump, pump water out of your tank and rinse them....kind of like a hose.
ok, thats what i wanted to know. if a fw dip will kill then i won't do it. thanks