how do I fill di cartridge with new resin?

Open it up, rinse it out. should be a sponge on the bottom and another under the removable cap. Rinse the sponges. load, pack tightly, (very important) or the water will create channels through the resin and not properly filter the water. after I get mine 3/4 full I sowly add water to it to allow the resin to settle in. Then add more resin until it is right to the top, then place the sponge into the cover and screw it together.

Done

thank you. one other questions...I have it up and running and both the in and out on the dual tds meter is showing oppm...is this possible?

Here are some pretty detailed instructions from BFS:

"Is there a right way and a wrong way to load a refillable cartridge with replacement DI resin?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes! Seems like this would be a simple matter of unscrewing the bottom of the cartridge, dumping the old resin in the trash, placing fresh resin in the cartridge, and replacing the cartridge in the housing. Well, almost...

It's how you place the new resin in the cartridge that's important here. First a little background on DI resins.

Remember that the vast majority of folks in this hobby who use DI resin take advantage of mixed bed resin. This resin is composed of small plastic cation beads and anion beads that remove positively charged, and negatively charged ions, respectively. These beads work most effectively when they are thoroughly mixed (which is the way they are when you buy them).

To assure the beads stay mixed together, pack the beads tightly in the refillable cartridge. Fill the cartridge to within a 1/4 inch of full with resin. Now pack the resin by dropping the cartridge repeatedly (~40 times), rubber washer end down, on a hard surface from a height of about 1/2 inch. Essentially what you are doing is bouncing the cartridge to get the resin to settle. You'll see that it settles significantly. Add more resin and settle it again. You'll not see as much settling this time. Now fill the cartridge a third time to within 1/8 inch of the top and pack the resin a third time. If you see any settling at all, refill to within 1/8 inch of the top, replace the cap, and you're good to go! Packed in this way, you'll not see the resin separate over time. "

Hope that helps!

shane, I was over in tampa all week for work and my hotel and office were conventiently located right next to faois. Approx a 2min walk

Back