How do I get rid of red slime algae?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12908515#post12908515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kannin
All the chemicals in the world won't fix the problem because of the tap water. There must be phosphates in it and if the cyanobacteria wasn't using them up... they would probably test a lot higher.

I would start using RODI... most fish stores sell it for 50 cents a gallon. Add flow... it likes dead spots. Koralias are good. Add the phospate reactor from Two Little Fishies. It about 40 bucks plus a 20 pump. Reduce your light cycle until you get it under control. And vacuum it up twice a week. I figured out a way to vacuum it for as long as you want without draining the water. Clip a filter sock to the inside of your sump and syphon the slime into the sock. The water will drain into the sump and back into the tank. If you do all of this... you'll fix your problem in a few weeks.

I guess you've never had red slime algae?
I tried to beat it for at least 6 months that way and wound up infecting my nice tank because I moved one coral out that was being smothered by the stuff.

I did a lot of reading and people have had terrific success with antibiotics.
Within a few days it turn white and died off and has never returned so If I ever have a tank with it again you better believe I'll be running to the LFS to get some.

Now green hair is a different story :)

I used Blue Vet red slime control, worked like a charm. Within literally minutes of putting the stuff in the tank the red slime began to disolve. Then, by the 3rd day it was gone. The directons say to leave your skimming and carbon off for 6 dasy. I was not comfortable with that period of time so turned skimmer and filter back on at the end of the 2nd day. Kept water circulation on for the whole time. The one thing I would caution against was that when I turned the skimmer back on it went nuts and for 2 hours I had to stand there and suck water out of the collection cup until it normalized. If I remember correctly I took about 2 gallons of water out of the skimmer cup and then just replaced with fresh salt water. This was about 2 months ago and I am still red slime clear. I also started using Mangavour(spelling) phosphate remover at that time.

I'm in the same boat right now but I have sharks and rays and them and chemicals don't mix. I also have corals and therefore 500 watts of mh plus t5's. My phosphates are at .25 and my cyano is pretty bad. Any of you try chemiclean or red slime remover with sharks or rays?:D

BTW, DLANDINO, I don't trust blue vet. They make an aiptasia x that is reef safe that killed many of my corals.... Anyone who reads this trust my advice.

Thanks for the advice. I bought some red slime remover that ought to be here by monday(I hope) and i've also started purifying my water again. I hope this works well, if not, I'm going with the antibiotics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12909303#post12909303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OliverM3
I guess you've never had red slime algae?
I tried to beat it for at least 6 months that way and wound up infecting my nice tank because I moved one coral out that was being smothered by the stuff.

I did a lot of reading and people have had terrific success with antibiotics.
Within a few days it turn white and died off and has never returned so If I ever have a tank with it again you better believe I'll be running to the LFS to get some.

Now green hair is a different story :)

Bad guess!!!

100_1788.jpg

I have had a bad case of it in each of my tanks. I beat it in both without chemicals or antibiotics. It doesn't happen as fast but, it is better for your inhabitants... to fix the excess nutrient problem that is feeding the bacteria. All of the things I suggested really do fix the problem... but, a person must have a little patience. I promise... this is not advice that I pulled out of my butt, as suggested... I have actually applied it successfully.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911801#post12911801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Will520
Thanks for the advice. I bought some red slime remover that ought to be here by monday(I hope) and i've also started purifying my water again. I hope this works well, if not, I'm going with the antibiotics.

I tried that first in my tank as well so If that doesn't work this is what I used :http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=710336

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912360#post12912360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kannin
Bad guess!!!

I have had a bad case of it in each of my tanks. I beat it in both without chemicals or antibiotics. It doesn't happen as fast but, it is better for your inhabitants... to fix the excess nutrient problem that is feeding the bacteria. All of the things I suggested really do fix the problem... but, a person must have a little patience. I promise... this is not advice that I pulled out of my butt, as suggested... I have actually applied it successfully.

:) Good for you in my case I just could not beat it.
I would have a 1/4 thick mat covering everything within days of removing the last one by hand.

Anybody try red slime remover or antibiotics with a clam?
I've been battling this stuff for a year, but I don't want to try anything that might harm my clam.

Must be a zillion posts on cyano ... suspect looking at a couple of weeks of posts would keep you busy for a while. Nothing new, nothing dangerous - and no real quick safe fix.

It's funny people recommend putting, Icemelt, Ebsome salt, Pickling lime/builders lime(which btw don't get it on your skin), Ozone, Vodka, baking soda, vinegar, etc. but god forbid put some antibiotics in your tank that's like voodoo!

I only speak from experience it works. I've done my tanks, friends tanks, family's tanks and every single time it killed the slime algae and nothing else.

Back