How do these prefab stands hold up so much weight?

Aquavaj

How come on these 100g + tanks with matching stands, the stands are practically just a 3 sided plywood box. No large vertical and horizontal support beams to create a strong foundation. The boards seem to be held together using those locking metal dowels only. Yet they can hold up 1000+lbs of a fully loaded tank.

The answer is that a plywood box is extremely strong. In fact, it's inherently better than dimensional lumber because it doesn't warp or twist. Generally more difficult to work with for the average DiY'er I suppose.

Plywood, if that is actually what it was made of is incredibly strong, especially when designed properly.

But keep in mind, some prefab stands are so minimalist, and some companies don't expect you in the hobby more than a year or 2, and their warranty probably expires before that.

And not all are built well, I once got a call from a reefer in trouble having their stand crack half way full on a 75g tank, while on 4th floor dorm room!

We had to drain it and add support.

How come on these 100g + tanks with matching stands, the stands are practically just a 3 sided plywood box. No large vertical and horizontal support beams to create a strong foundation. The boards seem to be held together using those locking metal dowels only. Yet they can hold up 1000+lbs of a fully loaded tank.

The stand that came with my 120 is basically just two overlapping layers of plywood. I don't think there are any 2x4s in it. I'm building a new stand to raise the tank and add more room in the sump area, but no issues with the plywood stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm building a 225G plywood tank. I'm using plywood for the stand. The only dimensional lumber I'm using is for a face frame so I have something sturdy to attach my doors to. I have zero concerns about the structural integrity

Weight pushing straight down is not a problem but the cabinet does need to be constructed to eliminate racking ie side to side movement. I built the cabinet for my 100 g tank and only used 3/4 birch plywood.

Its all about spreading the load placed upon it and displacing evenly. There are allot of variables here. The way it was constructed, the layers with in the plywood and the thickness of the plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should see my Elos stand.

The only point even making contact with the tank is the side walls, the front corner panels (no contact over the doors) and the one horizontal support running across the back that is only attached to the side panels and doesn't go to the floor. And speaking of floor, there is none. But it holds up my 120g tank as sturdy as any stand I've had.

i-N9QL7GQ.jpg

i-dPVMVXC.jpg

Plywood, if that is actually what it was made of is incredibly strong, especially when designed properly.

But keep in mind, some prefab stands are so minimalist, and some companies don't expect you in the hobby more than a year or 2, and their warranty probably expires before that.

And not all are built well, I once got a call from a reefer in trouble having their stand crack half way full on a 75g tank, while on 4th floor dorm room!

We had to drain it and add support.
Yep
Had my 29 on a TV stand. One of those old ones when a 32" TV weighed 250 pounds(not really but ya know) and after setup, cycle etc. I was cleaning the glass, it started leaning and..... Crash. 30 gallons of what I consider worse than Bong water on the floor. Not to mention livestock etc. All the other posts are right, the wood itself is usually a plywood or particle board material and strong as hell but Its the way its put together that can mean crap or credible. Lateral support and stiffness should be paramount so that when cleaning, leaning or moving around it remains stable in its stance.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

A properly built plywood stand (box) is plenty strong enough to hold up a tank.

All the 2x4 stands are so overbuilt and waste a LOT of space inside the stand.

Here's my stand. Just painted the inside. Soon attaching the face frames and then staining
f1b6077136b996ea00e61ec512b5fe9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back