How do you like the Icecap 250w Metal Halide ballast

jman77

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a 58g tank with dual 250hqi's and think it's a bit too much. I'm thinking of switching the ballasts to Electronics. Do you think this will run the bulbs noticeably cooler ? Also, have anyone of you that have gone the HQI to E ballast route notice a big difference in your light bill ?

thereefgeek

Love 'em (I'm running three 250's and a 660 for my VHO).

They run cool to the touch (maybe 110-120 degrees) compared to the cap & core style ballasts. I don't know about running the actual bulbs cooler.

MarksReef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7507004#post7507004 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thereefgeek
Love 'em (I'm running three 250's and a 660 for my VHO).

They run cool to the touch (maybe 110-120 degrees) compared to the cap & core style ballasts. I don't know about running the actual bulbs cooler.
Same here.
96419641light_ballast___timers-med.jpg

horkn

2x250 on a 58g?

that is a ton of light.

and heat.

the only way to drop a good amount of heat is to drop the wattage of your MH bulbs.
the e ballasts will run cooler than the magnetics, but the ligths still are going to be hot

RichConley

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7507070#post7507070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
2x250 on a 58g?

that is a ton of light.

and heat.

the only way to drop a good amount of heat is to drop the wattage of your MH bulbs.
the e ballasts will run cooler than the magnetics, but the ligths still are going to be hot

1x250 on a 58 is tough without going to a lumenarc or similar, just not enough spread.

You're dropping 100 w+ going from cap and coil to electronics, so yeah, you'll lose like 1/6th of the heat.

I run a similar setup, but one Icecap, one ARO. I can't see a difference.

richfavinger

Premium Member
I run 2x 250 XM10k SE Lamps off my IceCap 250's
IceCap 660 for the VHO's (2x 110w URI's)
Love the setup on my 75g... and IceCap support is A+

smcdonn

Check out affordablelighting.com. I bought the electronic ballasts that they sell and there are rumors that they are the exact same ballast as the IceCaps. I love mine.

Sean

scbadiver

I have 3 250W MH and 16' of VHO (660) from icecap and have been very happy with them. I'd buy them again.

11194new_ballast_mnts.jpg