How does this aquascape look?

hawk1

Finally got the rest of my rocks today. I worked on different aquascapes for over 2 hours lol. I finally came up with this. How did it turn out? Tank was so clear, but moving all the rocks around its cloudy again!

100_1181_zpsf7550359.jpg

looking good , but I only see 1 power head. 2 or 3 better. You want to creat a circular motion with flow from top and middle. This will reduce uneaten food and waste from collecting on and around rock work.

looks nice, another suggestion would be to elevate the base of the rocks to the very top of the sandbed if possible in order to prevent build up of detritus at the the base of the rocks. Just a thought though not nescessary other than that lookin nice!

I like the two pillars look. Aquascaping is one thing that has gotten very in vogue since the 90s. I run a heavy bioload so im still rocking the "rock wall" look so as to maximize my biological filtration.

Thanks guys, yes I going to add more powerheads. And I would of liked to had a little more space in between, but I wanted to use all the rocks to give more bio filtration.

I was wondering when the time comes for corals. Since I a newbie I am going to stick to the easy ones like zoanthids, mushrooms, and green star polyps. On the plus side I really like the looks of all 3 of those! Anyways I was wondering would the bigger rock pile on the right be a good place for zoanthids? I want to have different colors covering the rocks. Could I place them low and high on the rocks? Or do they like one place or the other? I was thinking green star polyps on the left pile, and then some mushrooms around the bottom?

ur protein skimmer pump looking very bad inside the tank. i wud suggest make a partition for filtration equipments on the left side or use a sump.

To be honest I really dont mind the look of the pump, and I got a great deal on the skimmer off ebay. When you are going to school and on a tight budget every little bit helps. Once Ive been up for a while, and have some extra cash saved up I may get a sump, or a skimmer with a pump outside the tank. But for now at least I have a skimmer, so the tank is happy, and for $70 my wallet is happy too.

Looks very good Hawk1. I have the same design, with the two tall pillars on each end. Regarding your question on where to place your Zoa's, i have mine placed in various areas of the tank, top, middle, and bottom. They are all doing well where they are. One down side i have come across to having two pillar design is there is not as many spots to place coral. I am currently down to just three more ideal spots, then I will have to use areas that are not in plain view from the front of the DT. I have a total of 23 various corals in the tank (soft, LPS, and a few SPS). liveaquaria.com is an excellent resource to learn about care, placement, and flow that your corals will need. Happy Reefing!

Thank you Salty, would love to see your tank! Do you get your corals from Liveaquaria? When time comes, Im not sure the best place to get fish and corals, Ive been checking out Blue Zoo, and Reefs2Go. The only local stores I have are Petsmart and Petco:uhoh2:

I get mine from LFS, they typically carry some nice coral and fish. They are expensive though, my daughter works there so they give me her employee discount. So for example yesterday i bought a 4 inch Blue Maxima Clam that was listed for $67, after discount i paid $31! I will try and get a few pics of my tank loaded tonight.

I've looked at buying coral and fish from live aquaria, the shipping is high. Have looked on other websites and to ship to me in midwest, shipping is high there too. I haven't bought any coral off of ebay, but i have read others that do, and they seem to be quite happy with them. Shipping seems to be less as well.

Its looking very nice, but i would also suggest getting another pump in there to circulate the water.

Zorro V if you are referring to mine, there are 4 power heads in there circulating a total of 3600 gph. I have them on a JPX wave box.

Back