how far have you gone to get a mantis shrimp ?

twintrades

Just was wondering how far any of you have gone to get a mantis. A pet shop about 100 miles from me got one in from a local breaking down his tank. Im thinking of driving 3 hrs for a possible wenerae. Guy said its red and about 4 " long......

They might ship it buy it would be ups 1 day sent mon at noon and here at my house at 4-5 pm tues. What to do????

About 300 miles one way. :)

that was for a O. havanensis, and I was picking it up in the keys... I spent three days down there though so it wasn't totally for the mantis.

I drove about 100 miles one way to tampa for my first wennerae, but I got the smallest one he had so it would live the longest.

I vote ship it. (unless the store is worth the trip :))
They are extremely hardy, I have shipped one USPS 2-day priority. And I am no fish shop owner! Just used a Nalgene bottle, 1/2 full with water in a styrofoam box, newspaper to fill the corners keep it snug :)

edit: this is assuming it's a n. wennerae.

I belive it is. And i think that the ups will do a monday noon pick up and tues evening delivery for 8 bucks and some change.

So you think it would survive the trip ?

$8 sounds really good. I would ship it.

I was getting my wennerae from TBS so it was going to be $50 shipped or $10 to pick it up, and I used about $30 worth the gas so picking it up saved me money.

overnight is around 30 bucks and the 1 day is like i said earlyer. Just takes longer. 1 full day. guess ill have him shipped. i dont think my wife wants to go for a 6 hr round trip ride.......

Where do you live that it takes 3 hours to go 100 miles? I thought that was round trip. 100 miles in 3 hours is 33 miles per hour. Don't you have any highways?

I would definitely ship if its going to take that long.

That's nothing, I was working at an aquarium and fell down some steps, buckling both my knees in the process. It hurt like hell! I had a hard time just walking. But I was going to pick up my S. rugosa that day and nothing was going to stop me! I made it all the way to the lfs 45 minutes away and hobbled in using stuff to lean against while I brought it. I was so crazy that day. If you really want something bad enough nothing will stop you from getting it

That's nothing, I was working at an aquarium and fell down some steps, buckling both my knees in the process. It hurt like hell! I had a hard time just walking. But I was going to pick up my S. rugosa that day and nothing was going to stop me! I made it all the way to the lfs 45 minutes away and hobbled in using stuff to lean against while I brought it. I was so crazy that day. If you really want something bad enough nothing will stop you from getting it

that is awesome. i can just see it. koshmar stumbling in, gasping for breath as he clutches onto anything nearby for support, struggling to say, "one... squilla.... rugosa.... please..."

My first mantis: $50 and that included his entire home.
G.chiragra $20
P.cilliata 1 $20 + shipping.
P.cilliata 2 $20
L.mac. $45
G.glaborus $free

Back