How important is in tank flow?

90g-reefer

How much water flow is needed in a FOWLR tank. Would a SCWD on the return pump be sufficient or would I still need to run circulation pumps like maxi's and korillas like in my reef tank?

It also depends on the size of the tank, and the amount of flow you'll be getting through the SCWD.

If detritus/debris can settle, the flow needs upgrading. The flow should scuttle debris to the filter inlet for easy removal. The Best way to "clean" the substrate daily. If you don't have a fine sand bed, this won't work of course, and other methods will need to be used.

PS doing this for almost 20 years:)

I'm a big fan of SCWD's, but I'm also a fan of CL's, depending on the setup. If you run a SCWD, make sure you put at least 500 gph thru it to minimize head loss.

I'm a big fan of SCWD's, but I'm also a fan of CL's, depending on the setup. If you run a SCWD, make sure you put at least 500 gph thru it to minimize head loss.

I was thinking about using a 780gph as a return pump through the SCWD.

Scwd???????????????????????????????????????

SCWD = Switching Current Water Director

Basically, it's a flow alternator. They're cheap (about $40 for the 3/4" version), reliable, and work like a charm (I'm currently running 3 of them). The only caveat is you need to feed them a decent amount of flow (>500 gph) to minimize head loss.

I have two running on main returns and one running on a CL, and I still have my first one that I bought YEARS ago when they first hit the market.

Back