How long before new fish eats?

AslanTheKing

I got my Yellow Watchman Goby and he's gorgeous. Great color and markings. He's been in the QT with hyposalinity for just over 24 hours. How long before I should worry about him not eating? I have Prime Reef and frozen mysis. Offered both and neither was taken.

Anybody with any ideas would be appreciated.

Peace

Kevin

i have same goby. at first he spent most time cleaning sand , did great job also. after a few days he started eating some plankton but not alot. I supplement soft sinking food he seems to like. I think they perfer algea and left over food in the sand tho. Also is your substrate sand ?

If this is your only fish no need for qt. Then again my lucky a** never qt any my stock . 1 whatchmen goby 1 bi color blenny 1 coral beuty 1 chrome 2 damselfish and 2 tomato clowns. Oh and a darn pistol shrimp ( hichthicker ) im trying to catch right now. Well in qt i would have no clue but to mix it up.

Formula One Sinking Pellets with Garlic: if large enough he will like the medium sized. If very small, then the small size. They're sand-sifters, and eat off the bottom.

Continue your qt until you're sure he's not going to come down with ich. If he's not eating, try to get him to eat before you put him into your tank. He's got enough change going on in his life. Mine doesn't know what to do with frozen food---will take a try at cyclopeeze, but he's happier with the pellets.

A yellow watchman will eat most meaty foods, just keep trying.

I always ask the LFS to feed a fish before buying it. They usually use brine shrimp and the fish almost always will eat. If it doesn't I won't buy it. Although brine shrimp isn't very nutritious it might be worth a try.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8107577#post8107577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
If this is your only fish no need for qt. Then again my lucky a** never qt any my stock . 1 whatchmen goby 1 bi color blenny 1 coral beuty 1 chrome 2 damselfish and 2 tomato clowns. Oh and a darn pistol shrimp ( hichthicker ) im trying to catch right now. Well in qt i would have no clue but to mix it up.

You should QT all livestock before it goes into your display. If he only has 1 fish, that 1 fish can bring ich into the tank then the pary begins. I got ich in my tank and lost well over $200 worth of fish last year. Now everything that goes into the tank goes through a QT. Been ich free for over a year now.

Ok newbie alert , sorry bout that . good advice . i figure ive been super lucky and would hate to loose all my well spent time on my tank. I was just trying to help and thought i was giving sound advice. Thank god others responed. Just didnt want him to loose the daimond goby :)

I was the same way, i just put everything and anything into my tank with no QT and didnt have aproblem. The one day, bam, ich over all my fish, including a few rare fish. Dont know when or what brought it in. After that I did a ton of research on ich and the more i studied the more cautious i became.

Ich can reside on everything if it is in its egg stage. Once it leaves a fish it goes into an "egg" stage in substrate, rockc, etc. Theoretically you can bring a piece of coral into your tank which has the ich parasite eggs in the rock it is attached to.

I now QT all of my corals in a fishless tank to make sure if there is ich present it will die because there is no fish to host in.

John

Back