How long can fishes last without feeding

calvinreef

I will be away for about a month, can't get anyone to feed my fish. Can my blue tang and flame angel last that long without feeding? mine is a 2 yrs old SPS tank, 100g and with some pod and coraline algae in the tank.

I wouldn't plan on leaving the fish that long and expect to come back to good news. That's just wrong man. I would assume a week would be ok, TOPS. If the tank has a good pod population. .

You know it's not that hard to buy and set up an automatic feeding system and put it on a timer. Just have a little flake in the compartments and it drops once a day.

The better question is can the tank survive that long without attention. I know mine would be blowing bubbles through the return pump after a week or so and that would only be the start of the problems. As to the feedings I wouldn't recomend it but it's amazine what they will find to eat in the tank. I'd ask around it can't be that hard to get a friend or neighbor to come by every couple days to just drop in some food and top off water if you really can't find some one to do it for free most decent LFS could recomend a service they might even be willing to do water changes etc...

Where are you at maybe even someone from the board could help out.

Re: How long can fishes last without feeding

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6988587#post6988587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by calvinreef
I will be away for about a month, can't get anyone to feed my fish. Can my blue tang and flame angel last that long without feeding? mine is a 2 yrs old SPS tank, 100g and with some pod and coraline algae in the tank.

I'd be willing to bet if you didn't have anyone watch that tank for a month you would come back to issues. Assuming you have an auto top off, what would happen if it failed and nobody was there to check on it? What if your lights failed? I would reccommend finding someone even if they have no reef knowledge. Just tell them exactly how much to feed and how often and tell them just not to touch anything unless they first call you. Or, you could break it down and sell it before you leave. That way you don't have to worry about it crashing, and you can always start up again when you get back.

Get out the greenbacks and pay someone. There has to be someone to watch it. I can't tell where you are from, but if the price is right heck I'll watch your tank for you.

Regards,

Pat

Back