How long could our fox face go in a 60L tank?

simoncbarnes

Hello all!

At present we have a 100gal tank, but are having a new (much bigger!) tank in June when we move house. However until then we have a problem...

We have had a powder blue surgeonfish for quite a while, he is now about 4" long and is the largest fish in he tank. About 3 months ago though, after much research, we decided to add a one-spot foxface to the tank who is of a very similar size. The tang is not happy about this! He constantly chases the foxface, even 3 months down the line. He has now ben stung 3 times: each time he develops white spot for a week, but never gives up pestering the foxface. Similerly, the foxface does not seem to learn to avoid the tang and seems most unbothered, even following the tang around. We are worried though as the tang is constantly stressed by it. We have an ajoining tank which we set up for raising our cleaner shrimp fry some months ago which runs off the main tank. It has plenty of live rock and different algaes, but it is only 60 litres, do you think that is too small for the fox face for the next 6 months?

Any advice is appreciated!

Many thanks,

Sarah and Simon

Sadly not an option

Sadly not an option

Unfortunetly there is no one who could look after him for a while. Reef keepings not a big thing round here, we have to drive over an hour to the nearest marine shop!

Good idea though, appreciate it.

You could try give it back to the shop and then buy another when you upgrade or you could ask the shop to hold him for a while, Id rather have a long drive than loose a fish

sad i know, but I'm attached to her!

sad i know, but I'm attached to her!

I did ask the shop, but they are having some pretty major building work going on in thee at the moment and said they havnt realy got the space to hold her, but they did not mind taking her and then giving us another 6 months down the line.

I really wanted to leave that as a last resort though. Partly because we saw loads before inding one as helthy as the one we've got now, and she is just the right size, and partly becuase, sad I know, but she has become my avourite fish in the tank and I'd be sad too see her go! She is incredibly tame and is always the first to the surface at feeding time and loves munching lettuce, broccoli and algae from my fingers in he morning, shes a real character!

But if nothing omes up I will of coure take her back rather than risk loosing he tang. Just wish we could move to our new house quicker then it wouldnt matter!

Maybe I'll try it!

Maybe I'll try it!

Hi

Thanks for your reply. The 60L tank runs off the main tank so the water is the same as the main tank, so I wouldnt have the risks/stress involved with acclimitation.

I figure if he does get stressed out in there he would loose some of his brilliant colouring so I'd know...? So maybe theres nothing to loose by trying!

Thanks for all your advice guys!

I think you already had your mind made up.
How big is the fox face? Isn't 60L only like 20 something gallons?
They are active swimmers and need swimming room. There color is a great indicator of how he is feeling so watch him closely. Good luck

maybee a local fish shop could adopt him for a while ? i know what you mean about reefing not being a big thing here ( im in cardiff ) and its a bummer to get hold of anything.

She is just under 3" in length. 60 litres is 14 UK gallons I think - Its 70cm by 35cm by 25cm. It has the same water and turnover as the main tank and loads of different algaes and 3 x 2 kilo pieces of live rock. There are no other fish in there, but there are a few tube worms. We have just found out that we have the horrible task of dismantaling the whole tank next week; our flat got flooded 2 weeks ago - not related to the tank! & just drying the carpet wasnt good enough apparently and the land lady wants it re-doing before xmas. I was not happy! So maybe as the rock would end up being moved around a bit and they wont have been in it for two days, if I put the foxface in a couple of hours before the tang, maybe that would work?... If not I think I shall try him in the 60L as a tempory measure but keep a really close eye on his colour.

Thanks for all your help, I've never done a post before, but its been so helpful! Definetly be using this again!

Back