How long do cerith snail eggs take to hatch?

Oops. You are right. Those are dwarfs! (Although they did ship from Florida! :D) Anyway, I had heard the dwarfs will breed in home aquariums, so I have a feeling that is what they are. Plus it seems the scale is right. Not like with the Nerite eggs!

Anyone know if these are Stomatella or Florida Cerith eggs? Will have to keep my eye on them.

These are not Stomatella nor Flordia Cerith eggs. They are Columbellid (or Collonista) snail eggs. You might not notice them yet but you will soon:

conch.jpg

20060803ColumbellidEggs3.jpg

Interesting, those look exactly like strombus snail eggs...

3593640615_baf2c22e3a_z.jpg

strombus_eggs1.jpg

Actually, if you look closely at the tiny snails in the egg sacs in your pics, you can see the little proboscis sticking out like a strombus. Are you sure those are collonista eggs?

Edit: The eggs in the original poster's pic look like collonista eggs just from a quick search. You can see the side opening, as opposed to the strombus top opening when they start leaving the sac. I found this in the collonista egg search http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tortchad/DSC_3091.jpg

Last edited:
Ha, dunno what I was thinking, Strombus (the name everyone uses) are Columbellid snails, Collonista are Collonista amakusaensis.

Yes either that or Collonista. The problem is eggs from these snails are nearly identical except size. With a sigle photo, it's then hard to get a reference of size. Here is a picture of Collonista egg:

Snaileggs12-30-09006.jpg

As you see, it's very similiar so my guess would be either Columbellid or Collonista. That's fantastic picture you got there Sushi.

Thanks dzhuo. The one with the snail is from my previous 38 gallon tank and just the eggs is from my previous 10 gallon. My old camera took better pics than the fancy one I have now so I can't get good strombus egg pics now without a macro lens.

It'd probably be safe to say that if the OP doesn't have any snails like the one in my pic, they're likely collonista eggs.

These are not Stomatella nor Flordia Cerith eggs. They are Columbellid (or Collonista) snail eggs. You might not notice them yet but you will soon:
:lolspin:

What??? I was not expecting that! :D Hope you are right. I wonder where they came from? I guess I have added a few things lately. Will keep my eye out for them as well!

So maybe one of these days my Ceriths will actually get around to laying some eggs and we can get this post back on track!

So this picture is not really any better, but I took it with a camera with a 10x zoom assist for manual focus, and let me just say that the snails are in there crawling around! They are completely mobile.

Unfortunately I don't have a real macro lens, so the depth of field is non-existent.

Attachments

• IMG_6459-s.jpg
    IMG_6459-s.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
If you google nassarius snail eggs, you'll see pics of the snails actually laying the eggs I showed. I didn't want to link to any of those as they are on other boards and I never know when linking to other boards is frowned upon here. Also, always bear in mind that individuals with tanks are often incorrect in their ID of stuff they find in their tanks!

OK, from the looks of it, you are probably right. If these do turn out to be Collonista snails, then I guess that means I already have at least one, even though I have never seen it!

Hatched already?

Hatched already?

:celeb1:

So I spotted the eggs on the 7th which means they would have been laid the night of the 6th. And they must have hatched last night. So it took a mere four days for them to hatch!

Hope they made it.

Attachments

• IMG_6733-s.jpg
    IMG_6733-s.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
Any idea what kind of nassarius snails? Their shell shape and stripe doesn't look anything like nassarius I've seen.

Back