How long do the diatoms last?

Jmunk

I have the usual unsightly diatoms now in my 90G tank after about a month of it being up and running.

My last tank had such a bad diatom bloom it actually was the reason I tore it down, it was so frustrating.

However, with this new tank, I used all RODI water this time and got myself an ESHOPPS 150 skimmer running. I'm still seeing a good amount of diatoms especially on the sand, and even after a water change I did yesterday, they came back..QUICKLY.

So how long does this usually last? / any ways to fight it off quicker?

diatoms are silicate based and as soon as silica is depleted out of the system so will diatoms.

I have two Fighting Conchs that are doing a butt kicking on the diatom bloom in my tank right now.

Do you have any inverts that will work your sand?

I'd say with CUC you should see the Diatoms subside in 2-4 weeks...
It'll be noticeable when you have reached the end of the bloom as the CUC will get ahead of it and they won't return!!!

I'd say with CUC you should see the Diatoms subside in 2-4 weeks...
It'll be noticeable when you have reached the end of the bloom as the CUC will get ahead of it and they won't return!!!
I only got the 55G package, and all the snails and hermit crabs seem to only stay on one rock structure.

None of the other structure and absolutely nothing on the sand, what would take care of diatoms on the sand?

I would go with two fighting conches. Make sure you don't get a queen. They get huge (12"). It may take a few weeks. The conches like to find a spot and sit there under the sand and eat for a few days sometimes. I had one in my 65 and it wasn't coming out much and the diatoms and detritus weren't really being handled. I upped it to two ad now both are constantly out and cleaning. For nassarius I like one per 10 gallons but I don't really know what the rule is.

Just keep in mind that the nassarius don't actually eat the diatoms. Just stir the sand so it can't grow as well and get the silicates out faster to get consumed. It will still grow though.

I would go with two fighting conches. Make sure you don't get a queen. They get huge (12"). It may take a few weeks. The conches like to find a spot and sit there under the sand and eat for a few days sometimes. I had one in my 65 and it wasn't coming out much and the diatoms and detritus weren't really being handled. I upped it to two ad now both are constantly out and cleaning. For nassarius I like one per 10 gallons but I don't really know what the rule is.

Just keep in mind that the nassarius don't actually eat the diatoms. Just stir the sand so it can't grow as well and get the silicates out faster to get consumed. It will still grow though.
Gotcha, so a nice mix of those two should do the job after a few weeks?

Not sure if it's a fluke or not.. But I added 20 Margarita snails during my diatom bloom.. They consumed it diligently!

And all 20 still alive today..

Best thing about the Margarita snails is the usually stay in an area until they are finished cleaning..
During my diatom bloom I'd place them on certain rocks before bed, and wake up to a clean aquascape!

Best thing about the Margarita snails is the usually stay in an area until they are finished cleaning..
During my diatom bloom I'd place them on certain rocks before bed, and wake up to a clean aquascape!
Looks like conch snails and margaritas are what I'm gonna be looking for! :)

My best advice though... Don't sweat a diatom bloom.. It's a very natural and expected part of cycle. Observe, learn and watch as nature and good reef husbandry get you to the next step!

I guess must suggest diatom blooms are the end of said cycle.. Although some would argue this..

You can and will set off diatom blooms from time to time in your tank.. Understanding them is what will keep you sane

Back