How long to cycle 75 w/extras?

haywood2

I just set up my 75 gallon tank. Plans for the tank are FOWLR. Lighting is an Aqua light with dual 65 watt 50/50 bulbs... its pretty bright. Anyways, I put about 5 gallons from an established tank in there, 10 gallons from an established freshwater tank, and also added a small penguin filter from an established salt tank. Do you think it will be done in less than a month? And also, can I put in cured live rock during the cycling process?

You want the rock in there while the tank is cycling. A big part of the cycling process is to introduce everything that can throw the tank way off before you have livestock - rock can definitely throw a tank off, so you want it in there now.

When you're talking about adding "gallons from an established tank" - do you mean gallons of water? If so, it really won't do anything for you, especially the freshwater - anything living in it will be dead now that it's in saltwater. The filter was a good start, since it'll have lots of bacteria in it, but you really need something covered in other beneficial life, too - such as that live rock, or a few scoops of live sand from an established tank.

I agree with der_wille_zur_macht

I got two live rocks from a fellow reef club member and two scoops of live sand. I also have two small hermits in the tank.

Fresh water should be like adding a shrimp, and will start the cycle. The more live rock you have the better up to 1.5LBS per GAL. of water.

Ok thanks for the replies guys. So the live rock won't die during the cycle, all of the algae will stay? And do you think I have enough lighting? 130 watts, so almost 2 watts/gallon. Thanks again!

nope it wont die, and would start another cycle if added later, lighting doesnt matter in a fowlr so ur fine

I wouldn't rush it. I've started 2 tanks (with new water) and been fine with a 2-3 week cycling period. Slow is always better with reef tanks.

Back