how long to cycle filter media for emergency quarantine...?

flipteg

i have a matured (almost 2 years) 30 gallon tank... i was thinking if i ever need an emergency, impromptu quarantine tank, i will put an Eheim Substrat Pro filter media in the hang on tank skimmer and let it cycle... when ever needed, i can just put the filter media in the Aquaball internal filter and put that inside the quarantine tank...

i can put the filter media and just leave it in the skimmer, but i was just wondering, in a matured tank, how long should the filter media stay in there before it has sufficient BB's to process a 20 gallon tank...?

i would keep the filter running 24-7 and keep the parms exactly as the display. you dont need a skimmer in a QT tank, its an option.
cycle it and just let it run until its needed for emergency or new fish. then when a fish is placed in the tank add the filter media/carbon for purification.
if you place the media during cycle it can release NO/3 back into the system unless you change it. it will also prolong your cycle. i would run it empty, then about 24 hours before QTing, then add it to the filter.
JDM :cool:

Last edited:
but let's say it's a real emergency and i don't have the filter media cycling yet, from people's experiences, what is the shortest time i can cycle the media before it can support fish life in a 20 gallon...?

if you use about 16 oz. of display tank water into your QT when its set-up, it should help create beneficial bacteria on its own. just remember you have to feed the bacteria to keep it alive. media doesnt have to cycle, its a cleaner for the system. i suggest adding it 24 hrs for best results, but 15 min. placement is OK as long as you let the filter clean the water before introduction. the 24 hr period is for parms to stabilize. JMO.

Last edited:
to feed the bacteria you could place a small fish such as one Damnsel and let him live in the QT and run it as you would a display. then if you add a sick fish it will infect the Damnsel as well. therefore you need to run the media and treat both fish which is not very responsible to intentionally make a fish sick to treat another.
thats why i would keep the water circulating with the exact parms and not worry about BB. youre QT is to treat sick fish and/or hold fish before intro into display.

ok, here's the deal...
9 days ago, i put 250mL of Eheim Substrat Pro in my HOT skimmer... 24 hours ago, i set up a 20 gallon tank that is bare with just a heater, and Eheim Aquaball filter. i filled the tank with dechlorinated tap water and mixed salt to 35ppt... i then transfered all of the 250mL Substrat Pro to the Aquaball filter and put it in the aquarium...

now, 24 hours of letting it cycle, i test a few parameters and they are:
ca 382.5ppm
KH 8.8 dKH
NO3 0.5mg/L
PH 7.7

i then added Turbo Calcium and baked baking soda to try to raise it to 400ppm calcium, and 10dKH. i know calcium is not important but i'm just balancing the parameters to help with PH.

i then added a pulsing xenia frag... other than being stressed from being cut, the pulsing xenia seems to be opening up... i also put a rock full of yellow polyps... and they are fully open in the new tank... i also put 2 of those little swirly snails that are found in chaetos... they are doing fine... i was just wondering if i can safely take this as being safe for putting some fish...

Back