How many bulbs does it take

spsfreak25

I'm the real joker
Ok I'm slowly getting all my equipment together for my future 90g spa reef. I'm looking at t5 retro kits and I'm wondering how many bulbs should I use 6 or 8? I use to use t5's a long time ago but it's been some years sense I have been in the hobby and I want to make sure I'm using the proper amount of bulbs.

If you’re going with a standard 90 at 48x18x24, I would think a 6 bulb would suffice. It really depends on the width of the reflectors used on your T5 retrofits as you’re only working with 18”. I’m running an ATI 6 bulb on a tank with an 18” fore to aft depth.

Definitely 6 bulbs. Leaves room for some led bars If you want. Only way to cram 8 bulbs in is if you use a canopy to catch all that light spill. Otherwise you're basically wasting the bulbs on the edge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is my current T5x6 bulbs and 1xreefbrite LED. On a 70 gallons display tank. If your tank has the width, I would go with the 8 bulbs plus one LED light.
1ccf2adf78cb341ed72adcc32bedcef5.jpg
095b6fa7ea0f1c605d36308c60410374.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The retro kits offer waterproof endcaps and no rusting of any part of the fixture if you use wood or aluminum to frame it. You also need individual reflectors for each bulb & also the correct ballasts.

Those cheap fixtures are garbage and that's the kind of results you're going to get. Many of them have cheap ballasts like Workhorse which aren't designed or a match for HO T5.

The HEP ballasts that ATI uses or Advance ballasts are the only ballasts that are commonly available and going to give you top flight results.

Just remember it's easier to do it right once as these fixtures will last a lifetime. I've been using my DIY retro for 14 years.

Sunpowers are going to last forever as well and they have numerous videos if you have to replace a ballast or fan.

Back