how many clowns in a 350g tank?

Constantin

The tank is 72x30x36(tall), its been set up for a couple of months, but I currently only have a CUC in there, and one black/white sebae clown hosting a BTA.
I would like to get a few more clowns, maybe a pair of maroons.
So my question is, how many clowns can i put in a bigger tank without them stressing out or worse.
Also, are maroons really that agressive even in a bigger tank? will i still be able to add whatever inverts, ect if i get maroons?

Thanks!

mobert

Only two if they are paired. Many if you can get a clutch of perculas or maybe skunks and raise them. Otherwise you may be able to have two pairs if you arange your live rock so they do not see each other.

Constantin

i wanted to have a pair of maroons and maybe pair up my sebae, is that going to work you think, i also plan on stocking the tank moderatly, but on the heavier side.

On a side note, the BTA that i got was placed in a high flow area, which it didnt like too much, so it moved, eventually, yesterday it moved UNDER an overhang, so it wont get any light, should i be concerned or just wait for it to move again?
It was looking fine and forming bubbletips before.
Tank has 400mh lighting with actinics, but at the considerable depth, there shouldnt be too much light.

LargeAngels

Premium Member
One pair of maroons. I tried it in my 8' 300 and wound up with only a pair of maroons. It may be ok for a while, but when they get in breeding mode look out. Other clowns it may be possible to have two pairs.

patriots81

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15481209#post15481209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkdoughboy
35 clowns

you're kidding right? The BTA will be fine, it will move until it finds a spot it likes, it will probably move again.

Arati

Maroons are so agro that my spawning female attacks my nemo nori clip... I should really video it..

mobert

Sebae, I think behave like Clarkii. The pair I had claimed three fourths of a 240 gallon eight foot long tank. It seems unlikely they would have shared a tank with a pair of Maroons.

btw, my lighting is 3x400 watt 20K plus 2x160 VHOs and I have BTA's at all different heights in the tank so your BTA is probably just adapting to your tank. Leave it alone and it should come out soon.

Last edited:

Toddrtrex

Premium Member
Yea you would be surprised at how a pairs behavior will change once they start spawning. I have a pair of pink skunks, which are suppose to be fairly mellow. Well that all changed when they started spawning. Awhile back I paired up my existing Potter's angel with a smaller one. The existing Potter's didn't care about the new one, but the pink skunks sure as heck did. For the first 2 weeks they chased it all the time and took a couple nice chunks out of its tail. And they attack me now.

Constantin

can i have the maroons and another pair or should i go for less aggressive clowns?
Bta is under ledge i can barely see it. Also part of it looks deflated

jwilliams860

in my 300 i have a pair of black saddle backs, a pair of skunks, and a pair of rods onyx, all with their own anemone

kb11235

Re: how many clowns in a 350g tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15481202#post15481202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Constantin
will i still be able to add whatever, ect if i get maroons?
[/B]

I currently have a large maroon clown and a green bubble tip, and have never had a problem with any inverts. Actually, the clown is one of the calmer ones i have had, surprisingly.

Toddrtrex

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15485923#post15485923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Constantin
can i have the maroons and another pair or should i go for less aggressive clowns?
Bta is under ledge i can barely see it. Also part of it looks deflated

IME with maroons, they are very mine to other fish/territorial, and they get worse once they start spawning. Granted I never had them in that big of a tank. q

rkelman

I would pass on the maroon's personally.. I think they are just too aggressive to try with another pair.

Pacific Reefs

My orange skunk pair travel to the other end of the tank to harass my percula. They both have their own anemones too. My tank is 8' long. They don't do it all day but I'm sure the maroons are more aggressive.

patriots81

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15486095#post15486095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jwilliams860
in my 300 i have a pair of black saddle backs, a pair of skunks, and a pair of rods onyx, all with their own anemone

thats really cool! did they fight or anything?