How Many GPH Power Head for 65 gal tank

JMcGarva

Hello I have a 65 gal tank. Im starting with a live rock only tank but going to get a coral one going some day. I looking for power heads. What size will I need for that tank.

Hello I have a 65 gal tank. Im starting with a live rock only tank but going to get a coral one going some day. I looking for power heads. What size will I need for that tank.

It depends on how much water movement you're getting from your circulation pump, how and where it is directed back into the tank and what kind of corals you're talking about. Not enough info here to really answer a question. You may need a little more movement or a lot. I used to use MaxiJet 900s in a 55 gallon with Hydors on them and that worked pretty well but there is a lot more variety of better looking pumps out there now.

See what corals you end up with, then post your main pump specs and you'll get better answers here I'm sure.

I highly recommend the Reef Octopus BH-1000 or BH-2000 for a HOB skimmer. Best thing about them are the external pumps. No heat transfer and no bulky pump in your tank. Great skimmers!

Back