How many of you run skimmers on your FOWLR tanks?

Mr.Tan

I found someone locally who is selling his 75g tank, not used for $100. I think that is a good deal since its never been filled with water, so I am going to hop on it and keep it until i get enough stuff to have it running. I currently have a 29g reef tank but want to get in to a larger tank to set up as a fowlr aggressive tank. However I am just wondering how many of you run skimmers on yours? Do you run sumps?

I do not have any idea what fish I would have, didn't even think that far ahead yet. I don't plan on having it packed full with a big bio-load. Could i get away with just running a canister filter? I know most of you hate them, but I have had good experience with them, my one friend swears by them and never has nigh nitrates or any problems. I would of course keep up on weekly water changes as usual along with media changes. I just feel as though since Im not running corals in this tank a skimmer is not needed.

TIA

-Corey

Depends.on the type of fowlr. If you did a peaceful fowlr then your bioload could be smaller and just need to watch feedings and water changes. If you went predator then they are messy eaters and need that to be removed. I have four fowlr and two have a tiny bioload and am using a hob filter, one with a hob skimmer, and one with a sump and skimmer. All really depends on the end tank result.

well, if i do it its going to be a predator tank. I already have fish that are easy going and "peaceful" in my reef tank, So i want to do something a bit more intense. Again its not going to be stocked heavy, just lightly done depending on the type of fish I can do in the 75.

I have a 75 gallon with no skimmer or sump. I've got about 50lbs of live rock. An aqua clear 500 back filter with no media in it and an aqua clear 802 power head with a quick clean cartridge for mechanical filtration. I do a 40% water change once a month. This seems to work for me. Nitrates are less than 40 ppm. There are only 3 fish in it. A 3 stripe damsel, pajama cardinal and 5"-6" clown trigger. If you stock light there's no reason you can't use a canister filter. Just remember they are nitrate factories so frequent water changes are going to be a must.

go with an AquaClear110 rather than a canister. very functional and very easy to clean. add a Koralia Evo1400 and you will be good to go.

+50lb of dry rock
+20gal water change/3weeks

Cool, thats what i was looking to hear! I run an aquaclear 50 on the back of my 29g reef tank with carbon and some biomax. IT does a great job of keeping things clear and levels down (nitrate, ammonia and nitrite are all 0 and have been), along with the eshopps 75g skimmer...

I hear everyone say canister filters are nitrate factories, however my friend runs them (fluvals) and he never has nitrate problems....But it seems as though both fo you are saying aquaclear HOB filters so I will stick with that over the canister.

I'll scoop up that powerhead too, i run koralia evos in my reef and i like them a lot.

Thanks for the insight, i think i will pick up this tank and get things started and cycling.

:beer:

I say run a skimmer on every tank. I have a very low bioload and the crap it pulls out makes me shudder to think if it had stayed in the tank. You will hear pleanty of people say its not needed but I disagree

After the glass box filled with water should come the skimmer IMO

I use a skimmer and canister filters on my 600g FOWLR. The skimmer does most of the work... pulls out some nasty stuff. I considered not using a skimmer when I set the tank up but why worry about it... a skimmer for a 75g tank isnt going to break the bank and youll be all set.

since i been in saltwater in never ran a skimmer or had a skimmer that was a piece of junk. I did not have any problems since i kept up with water changes. The current set-up i have now has a skimmer rated 3x the size of my tank and i could not be happier. I will never run a tank without a skimmer now, especially if it is fowlr with big messy eaters. I will suggest purchasing a decent skimmer as most people mentioned.

I run an aqua c remora pro on my 125 and it pulls out a lot of gunk. I think if you don't run a skimmer you'll have to perform more water changes depending on your bioload, but a skimmer can't hurt as it does help pull out nasty stuff.

I too definitely would go with a skimmer. It will keep your fish much healthier and happier in between water changes with a skimmer. So, less salt costs, higher dissolved oxygen levels, lower organics, clearer water, etc.

I would never set up a saltwater tank without a skimmer, ever.

I have a 180 gallon semi aggressive tank with big poopers/messy eaters, and I got a Bermuda skimmer, and I am SO HAPPY with the way it works. It's SO easy to use, just plug it in and go. The canister just pops right off for easy removal. The skimmate is amazing too, it get all of that black gunk that I hate with the burning passion of 1000 white-hot suns (I spilt it all on me once, it was DISGUSTING).
But yeah, definately run a skimmer.

alright well based off all of these comments, I suppose it won't hurt me to run one then haha.. I do know how much crap they pull out, i run a 75g rated skimmer on my 29g tank and it gets a whole lot of nasty crap out. I just wasent sure if I needed one on a fowlr but it seems as though it won't hurt. Plus, i really do not like having to do water changes constantly, i mean i forget to do them on my reef tank so i know i would forget on the new tank :lmao:.

Do you guys think I would be ok just using the eshopps skimmer i have now that is rated for 75 gallons on a 75 gallon tank? or is it not going to work? I may be taking down my 29g reef tank to replace it with the 75g fowlr since I can't have 2 tanks running (to much money and work for me to tend both right now).

Also, i know this is a question that is beaten to death probably, but what fish would you recommend/could i have in a 75g tank? Its 48x18x21 dimmensions. I really want an eel, but i don't think that is big enough? I'd like aggressive/predator fish in it.

:beer:

Get a Reef Octopus Skimmer. I have found those to be the best value for the money. You and your fish will be happy you did...

On the stocking request. There is a difference between aggressive and predators. The two are normally used as the same thing which they are far from it. (I am not talking down to you either..just explaining my opinion) Predators eat other fish in the wild while aggressives are fish with territory issues in aquariums.

Your tank is too small for predators unless you choose a small lion or stone fish type of creature. Most of the true predators kept in saltwater aquariums are from the grouper, lionfish or eel families and most are too big for a 75.

But you can do some aggressives as when it comes to pound for pound damsels are about the toughest out there. But, 1 million out of 1 million threads where people ask for setting up an aggressive tank never get the beater damsels. I have a Jewel Damsel that picks on my Titan Trigger (except for feeding time then the trigger turns into a maniac)..go figure!!

I have wacky views of the entire aggressive/predator keeping and always seem to run off at the mouth when i start to comment about it. I think most who ask advice on the topic really want a shark or something. I have said it before and always get backlash--If you want aggressive get a mantis or go freshwater as there are some mean mofo's out there. If you want a trigger then get a trigger :)

Get a Reef Octopus Skimmer. I have found those to be the best value for the money. You and your fish will be happy you did...

On the stocking request. There is a difference between aggressive and predators. The two are normally used as the same thing which they are far from it. (I am not talking down to you either..just explaining my opinion) Predators eat other fish in the wild while aggressives are fish with territory issues in aquariums.

Your tank is too small for predators unless you choose a small lion or stone fish type of creature. Most of the true predators kept in saltwater aquariums are from the grouper, lionfish or eel families and most are too big for a 75.

But you can do some aggressives as when it comes to pound for pound damsels are about the toughest out there. But, 1 million out of 1 million threads where people ask for setting up an aggressive tank never get the beater damsels. I have a Jewel Damsel that picks on my Titan Trigger (except for feeding time then the trigger turns into a maniac)..go figure!!

I have wacky views of the entire aggressive/predator keeping and always seem to run off at the mouth when i start to comment about it. I think most who ask advice on the topic really want a shark or something. I have said it before and always get backlash--If you want aggressive get a mantis or go freshwater as there are some mean mofo's out there. If you want a trigger then get a trigger :)

I had a reef octopus NW150 that i was going to use in a sump, and had ti running for a bit and was very happy with it. Great skimmer and company for sure. I just went with eshopps for the HOB because a friend of mine has one and it does good for a decent price.

I don't think you are talking down to me at all! I appreciate all and any input, as I am still learning with things haha. I didn't really know there was a difference between aggressive and predator, figured they were the same. Good to know though, makes more sense.

Damsels can be buggers! My buddy had a blue devil damsel and it literally was the devil of his tank, it stood up to his undulated on a regular basis, and terrorized other tank mates before the undulated came in to play, driving some to death!

I don't actually have the tank yet, just shopping around. I found good price on new 75g so thats why i was looking at them. $120 for a brand new from the LFS (that fish place). I wasent aware that you really couldn't keep that many predators in a 75g, so its good to know.

I really want to do a predator tank or something very aggressive, if I am taking down my reef tank I want to do something nice and something that will keep me interested and active. The reef tank is fun, but the upkeep on it with making sure things are perfect for the corals is killing me! I understand it isn't a walk in the park with any saltwater tank, but i feel it would be easier and less time consuming with just a FOWLR. I've had freshwater in the past for a long time, and I don't want to go back right now. I REALLY want to get an eel of some sort, I have always loved them and had my eye on them each time i go to TFP and snoop around. That and the scorps/anglers. shoot or even a stonefish, but i think i'd be more afraid of that then i would an eel with getting in the tank. I dont have anything against triggers either, i think they are beautiful fish and have a great personality. My boys undulated was awesome until he donated it back to the fish store because he wanted other fish and it wasent having it :lmao:.

What would be a minimum tank i could get an eel in? there has to be some small ones that don't get super big and require a huge tank. same with triggers? or no..

Most eels get big and aggressive. Most will say a snow flake, but they get aggressive after years too. Personally if you want a good aggressive tank a 120 or 125 would be minimum. You could do a good eel, choices will grow here, possibly a lion or two. Get them all juvis and let them grow together. Possibly a even better choice would be a 180.

Most get a tank, add fish, then plan to upgrade later. Sometimes that doesn't happen. Buy what fits your tank adult size or buy a bigger tank. It will save you money in the long run rebuying equipment.

Back