How many people think the more money the better the results?

corals b 4 bills

Do you feel that if you had more money your tank would look that much better? Just a question. I've seen beautiful tanks on a dime and I've seen $12,000 dollar tanks that look terrible, whats your opinion or experience.

Mother Nature has the right idea IMO!! Why mess with what has worked since the dawn of time... although technology helps out too!!!

to a certian degree better filters better lights better water movement does give you better results

I feel that its all in the design and planning.
It will cost alot more money to compensate for a poorly designed set up.

i agree with bebo. Simply spending a furtune on a setup isnt going to do much, because the reefer is the one that has to actually take care of the tank.
But yes, in this hobby you definately get what you pay for. So if you're paying 400 bucks on a skimmer, you're either getting a very good one, or you're getting ripped off on a css 65 on ebay lol. On the other hand, if you buy one of those cheap Jebo/Odyssea skimmers for like 40 bucks shipped, dont expect anything from it.

But yes, generally (and to a certain degree) more money "usually" means better systems. Altho there are those who are "DIY ready" who can make a product for 50 bucks that is just as good as one that is 200 bucks.

Could you imagine having the money, the space, and the family baking to have a tank of the month system. I thought I was bad, these guy are insane(ly cool).

Re: How many people think the more money the better the results?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8123118#post8123118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by corals b 4 bills
Do you feel that if you had more money your tank would look that much better? Just a question. I've seen beautiful tanks on a dime and I've seen $12,000 dollar tanks that look terrible, whats your opinion or experience.
Yes, more money never hurt anything.

Money can't help if your not prepared to put the work in though. And most of the technology (at least the basic stuff you need) out there is based on what happens in nature but on a smaller scale and with electricity running through it!!

If time wasn't a factor, then the way people spend money on stuff is a waste. But, if you want a tank that looks great ASAP, then you're going to have to fork over the money to get good prefabricated stuff, large pieces of coral, large fish, live rock, etc.

It comes down to how you spend the money you put into your tank and how much time you spend taking care of your tank.

Having the best equipment can make a tank easier to care for (for example having a Ca reactor instead of adding kalk or a two-part additive every day or a better skimmer to keep nutrients down), but when it comes to the way a tank looks, IMO money is no substitute for creativity and patience. I've seen gorgeous tanks created on a very tight budget with used equipment, small frags and lots of DIY work, and costly systems full of boring rockpiles with overcrowded corals stacked up like fruit. It's not necessarily about how much money you can put into the tank... it's about what you do with what you have :)

Money does not always equal value. In a niche market especially. It is very easy to hype something beyond its capabilities.

I believe that everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time, the same goes for reefkeeping, If you spend every waking minute on your tank it can look like a TOTM. But if you have more money than time than it makes sense to spend it.

The real problem is that "Success" of a tank is a multivarible function. One variable is "money", and success is definately tied to it to some degree. Another variable is "experience". If you have a lot of "experience" you can get by with less "money". There are all sorts of other variables, such as "luck", "location", "patience", etc.... but the variables of most pronounced effect are "money" and "experience".

Someone with lot's of experience with plumbing, cabinetry, glassworking,... who has a workshop already in their garage can make a really really nice tank on a tiny tiny budget. That doesn't mean that the guy who drops $3000 on his tank is an idiot... it just means that he's paying someone to do the tasks he is unfamiliar with. I'm sure there's people out there who could make a better tank with $500 than I could with $5000.

Back