How many power heads?

hoxbar

I have a 90 gallon tank that I'm trying.get figured out. I don't think I have enough power heads, because I've got lots of green algae growing on my live rock. I only have one power head and the LR where the powerhead is blowing is clean and has no algea. I have no idea what "size" the power head is but it's about 2 1/2" round. Do I need more Powerheads?

If you want to save some bucks. Try a MJ power head with the sure flow mod. After using mine I would never use any other.

You need as many powerheads and enough movement in the water to be at least 15 times water volume. So your goal should be to be moving at least 1350 gallons per hour in a 90 - gallon tank.

If you are worried what you have is not enough, you will not have an issue with adding another powerhead. More flow only helps, I have never heard of it hurting anything....except maybe a pesky anemone :lol:

Hope that helps.

Is that just the recomended flow within the tank, not including the returns? For example I have a 40 gal DT and 12g sump with a 700gph return pump. How much more flow should I be looking for?

Is that just the recomended flow within the tank, not including the returns? For example I have a 40 gal DT and 12g sump with a 700gph return pump. How much more flow should I be looking for?

Include the return.

hoxbar
I ended up having to use 3 koralia 3's to get the proper flow in my 90. My tank's dimensions are 36x24x24 so its pretty tall and my LR is arranged in 2 separate mountains instead of a reef wall so that affected it a lot.

In my 90 gallon I have one koralia 3 on each side of the tank, 1 koralia 2 on the back glass pointed to the front, and 2 koralia 1's pointing behind the liverock. Don't know exactly how many gph it is but seems to be plenty.

I used two modded maxijet 1200s on a wave time for a couple years and that worked well. Only problem is the constant on-off trashed the pumps after a couple months. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a pair of the new controllable Korlia 4's and their 2 way controller. Very happy with it so far. No more rattling powerheads, for sure.

I currently have one Korila 2 power head (600gph). As from the above post I need more. What if I mooved the Korila 2, to the back of the LR and put a Korila 4 (1200gph) on each end of my tank. Tank measures 48" X 18"X 24 And no I don't have a sump. If I could talk the boss into it I would.

That would be a good idea.

I have one in each corner on the back glass. Both point twards the middle of the front glass. One points a little higher than the other and that covers the whole tank with direct and indirect flow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14154528#post14154528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BillyBee
I wonder if the 12v Korilas would last longer?

They should because they never actually shut off and restart-- the wave timer simply slows them down from 1400 gph to 200 gph. If they don't last longer, Hydor will certainly hear from me.

Back