How much 2 part do you dose?

IPT

I seem to be using an insane amount of 2 part (Two Little Fishes A/B). About 70+ml a day. Thing is I only have a 20L with 15 gal sump. I do have a big clam (Deresa) 7", fair to good coraline growth, and about 10 frags ranging from 1.5 to about 3". It seems like a lot to me but I have no reference. I dose about 20-30ml 2-3X a day to try and keep levels stable. Alk into the sump and Ca into the display. My Ca is still low (340, and alk/DKH is at 10.6 Salifert) Am I missing something?

60 to 70 ml/day in a 30 gal system will give you a daily consumption of about 1 meq/lt which is not unusual.
To lower cost you may want to switch to Kalk addition and supplementing the rest with calcium chloride and baking soda.
Check also your magnesium level (1300 ppm) to insure you can maintain a proper calcium level.
A 10 % water change per week at a salinity of 1.026 with a complete salt like Reef Crystals can also help maintain a good balance and levels.

OK, so I am not that far off. I have a Tunze Osmolater feeding RO water with 2 teaspoons of kalk per gal. I am thinking about going to the Twopartsloutions stuff (which is really just pre made Randy's type 1 stuff I think). I just wanted to be sure I didn't have some crazy situation when stuff was just precicpitating or something. Didn't think I did but with no other reefers up here in AK I had no comparision.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10475731#post10475731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IPT
OK, so I am not that far off. I have a Tunze Osmolater feeding RO water with 2 teaspoons of kalk per gal. I am thinking about going to the Twopartsloutions stuff (which is really just pre made Randy's type 1 stuff I think). I just wanted to be sure I didn't have some crazy situation when stuff was just precicpitating or something. Didn't think I did but with no other reefers up here in AK I had no comparision.

Why not continue to dose Kalk and supplement with the 2 part?

I will cont with the Kalk and 2 part. However, isn't the Twopartsoulutions Alk/Ca addition consdierably less expensive than Two Little Fishes A/B (2 part)? I think it is like 1/3 the price?

Back