How much flow is too much?

Walla2GSP

I'm getting ready to build a dual chamber Canister filter for my FOWLR tank, and I'm not really sure what to use for a return pump. I'm leaning towards the Panworld 50PX-X because I can get one cheap right now, but it's over rated for my application. It's rated at 1100 gph through 2 - 5 gallon canisters. My main concern is tearing the buckets apart, and I've been considering some alternatives. The 40PX is also fairly affordable but is only rated at 480gph, which would not be a lot of water returning to the tank. I could plumb a 1/2" line closed loop line around the filters with a ball valve and throttle the amount of flow through the canisters. I could plumb the canisters in parrallel so they only get "half" the flow each. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

I had originally went with a sicce syncra 5.0 (1300 gph.) However, when the impellar broke and it was $80 to replace I wish I had gone with a lower grade pump and ran more powerheads.

Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

IMO, for a FOWLR, you need enough flow to eliminate dead spots. For LPS reef tank, I say somewhere between 10-20x flow rate and for SPS, 20-40x flow rate. Hope that helps.

The short answer is that 1100GPH is not too much flow. The ocean has really strong currents and fish don't mind at all. I run up to 100X tank volume per hour in my 40B. But having random, intermittent flow is more important. You wouldn't want to blast the tank constantly, but enable some type of wave-like motion. Also, issues with flow are more important in tanks with coral, so that makes your decision easier because you have a FOWLR. I still recommend flow of around 30-50x tank volume per hour to keep detritus from settling.

Pick your return pump based on the size of your tank (I aim for about 5x /hr through the sump) or the ratings of other equipment like a canister. For flow beyond that, go internal. I run 5-6x through my sump and if I ran all of my powerheads at a constant 100% power, I would be pushing a total of 101x/hr

So 200+ turnovers per hour through the filter shouldn't be an issue? The tank is getting 25x with the powerheads and current canister filter with a 250gph rating, so any flow from this set-up is just a bonus, but like I said I don't want the system flow to destroy my canister filter or pull media into my pump either.

I've just lowered my flow as it was to much for some of my Lps corals, even in the less turbulent areas of my tank. My tank can produce x47 times turn over. The fish were not bothered one bit, but what's interesting is since lowering the flow their swimming patten has change a lot and there's less swimming into the main stream by my wrasse as they now hunt around the rock work more. it's more pleasing to the eye

If you see fish from tanks with higher flow they are generally much fatter and in better health. Flow is good.

Back