How much heat does a Velocity T4 add?

Doubledown

I am searching for a quiet (read: silent) pump for a 120 in my living room. The search and suggestions from others point to the Velocity T4 as my best option noise wise, but the negative is the heat added to the tank.

How much heat are we talking about here? I am currently battling heat using a Panworld 100PX-X (lots of variables like stand build and heater settings with the heat issues) and do not want to trade one issue (noise) for another (heat).

Thanks

<140w.

As to how much your panworld is adding now..don't know. Its a 120w (IIRC) pump, but is fan cooled, so maybe 50% of it is being put into the water?

So the lack of fan cooling is the biggest difference for the T4? What effect does a small fan blowing across the pump have on heat?

in a 180, i would doubt any more than a degree.. i ran 2 on my 155 bow, and still run one as a return.. i dont run the other because i no longer have a beckett skimmer..

The T4 is water cooled. IE it dissipates all of its heat into your tank. The PanWorld only dissipates maybe 50% of its heat into the tank.

Still, we're talking like 50-70w of heat difference...not a ton.

Thank you.

Being water cooled then, would running a small fan over the pump help at all?

I guess I could try it and find out, what could it hurt?

If you put your hand on a T4, its warm, which means atleast some heat is being dissipated to the air... A fan will help, just dont know if it'll help enough to be worth it.

I don't think a fan will help. The body does get warm, but it is so short, with so little surface area I just don't think it will make a difference. I would think you would need to make some kind of heat sink to really pull the heat away from the body, then blow air at that to really draw any sort of heat away...and that just sounds like a lot of work for very little gain.

I had a t4 on a 72g bow tank with class tops and VHOs sump was open top.

Switched out the pump during winter time, tank would stay 81-82 all the time. Swapped out the pump for a or2500 running externally and tank temps went down 3-4 degrees. But that's was also a pretty significant reduction in total watts too or2500 runs just 28w measured on my watt meter. I know the T4 was significantly more but didn't have a meter at the time.

Any fan to you put on the pump to help with heat is going to increase noise which defeats the purpose.......

Last edited:
My tank cooled ~2 degrees when I switched to a T4 from a submersed Mag18. The larger the tank, the less effect any added heat will be.

Back